Walking a good health Tonic
- Walking is man's best medicine.--Hippocrates
- Here are some of the numerous health benefits of walking.
- Walking prevents Adult type of Diabetes which is very common in India.
- Walking 2 ½ hours/week and losing just 7% of your body weight (12-15 pounds) can reduce your risk of diabetes by 58%.
- Walking and other kinds of exercise protect the heart and circulatory system by raising HDL, the good cholesterol, and keeping weight down.
- A recent Harvard study shows that walking at a moderate pace for up to
- 3 hours/week or 30 min/day can cut the risk of heart disease in women by as much as 40%. This is the same benefit you would get from aerobics, jogging, or other vigorous exercise. In one study, mortality rates among retired men who walked less than one mile per day were nearly twice that among those who walked more than two miles per day.
- Walking also lowers the risk of hypertension (raised blood pressure) and stroke.
- Walking reduces the risk of breast and colon cancer. Women who performed the equivalent of one hour and 15 minutes to two and a half hours per week of brisk walking had an 18% decreased risk of breast cancer compared with inactive women. Walking can help prevent constipation and colon cancer and even if an individual person develops colon cancer, the benefits of exercise appear to continue both by increasing quality of life and reducing mortality.
- Walking is good for your bones. Walking is also effective in slowing the rate of bone loss from the leg. It can be a blessing for women especially to tackle osteoporosis, if followed regularly.
- Walking can reduce the number of episodes of common cold.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- Walking is good for your brain. It improves concentration and memory functions.
- Walking helps alleviate symptoms of depression. Walking for 30 minutes, three to five times per week for 12 weeks reduces symptoms of depression by 47%. o We all need stress busters and something to pep up our mood. So start walking...
- Walking helps tackle sleeplessness. It is much healthier to get addicted to walking than to sleeping pills.
- Regular walking improves energy and stamina levels. Walking just three times a week for 30 minutes can significantly increase cardio respiratory fitness.
- Walking can improve wellness, fitness, and happiness.
- So make walking your hobby and live longer
Source: Jagran Cityplus Jul 08, 2010
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.