Do you have a sitting job? Know how many steps you must walk per day
- An average person walks between 3,000-4,000 steps per day.
- But the aim should be to walk at least 10,000 steps a day.
- This will ensure a healthier heart and overall well being.
Are you also wondering how many steps should I walk each day to stay fit? We read a lot about the importance of walking to achieve weight loss and a sound overall health. But it always remains a question that exactly how many steps should I walk? And the answer is 10,000 steps.
For profound fitness, heart health, and weight control, it is recommended to walk a whopping 10,000 steps most days of the week. If you think that is no big deal, then think again. If you haven’t tracked your steps using a pedometer, you probably have no idea how many steps you take in a day. On an average, 2000 steps are about 1.6 km, so walking 10,000 steps means walking about 8 km.
Also read: Best Workout to Boost your Fitness Levels
How Long Does it Take to Walk 10,000 Steps?
Well, most of us walk briskly at about 5.6 km per hour which takes about 17 minutes per 1.6 km or about 85 minutes for 8 km. The faster your pace (MPH), the faster you can walk the 8 km. If you walk at a pace of 4 MPH, then you will take 15 minutes to walk 1.6 km or approximately one and a half hours to walk 8 km. If you walk 5 MPH (which is like jogging), then it will take 12 minutes to walk 1.6 km or 1 hour to walk 8 km.
A person aged 45 and weighing 70kg can burn about 400kcal by walking 10,000 steps briskly (3 to 5mph). If you're trying to lose weight, you should aim to burn 600 more calories than you take in through food and drink every day. This is best achieved by a combination of diet and exercise.
How to Walk 10,000 Steps a Day
If following the 10, 000 steps method scares you, you could simply add a pedometer and walking shoes to your expenses and take the first step towards increasing your fitness and improving your health. Here is how you can include walking to your routine:
- Stay Motivated: Instead of taking exercise as something to schedule into a defined period each day, aim to achieve 10,000 steps daily by moving throughout the day. Actively seek opportunities to add in some more steps here and there so that you collect steps throughout the day.
- Count your steps: You can use a pedometer to keep a track of your steps. You can also download apps on your smartphone to track the numbers. Counting your steps will help you understand your goal better.
- Choose a Goal: For beginners, 10,000 steps a day probably seems enormous. But don't worry, it won't take long to complete these steps. Initially, begin walking as much as feels comfortable to you and then aim to increase 1,000 to 2,000 steps more each week until you become comfortable with 10,000 steps a day. There is nothing stopping you from walking more than this each day, but the aim is to achieve 10,000 steps.
- Set Reminders to Move: In the beginning, you will find challenging to settle into a new routine, including one involving more daily movement. To remind yourself, you could set reminders on your computer, watch, MP3 player, cell phone or whatever else you have to prompt you to move for a certain amount of time. By setting reminders, you won't forget to build up the day's steps. Eventually, it'll become natural and you can stop relying on reminders.
Walking is an easy, enjoyable and generally safe exercise. It provides you with an opportunity to get out of a building and discover your local neighbourhood, park, woods, nature, etc. Don’t look at 10,000 steps a day as a task but a way to stay engaged with your local environment. Get a friend enthused in regular walks, it's likely the two of you won't even notice the distance covered.
Read more articles on Exercise and Fitness.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 21, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.