Fettuccine are ¼" broad ribbons, rounded or straight pasta. Use any pasta if fettuccine is not available. Add chopped nuts, such as almonds or pine nuts, to the garnish.
PASTA (Serves 4)
200 fettuccine - boiled (5-6 cups).
Grated cheese and toasted almonds for topping.
5 tbsp olive oil or any other cooking oil.
1 tsp crushed garlic.
1 leek or spring onion - cut into rounds.
5 cups chopped spinach (500 gms)
100 gm (½ cup) cream.
4 tbsp grated cheese, ½ cup water.
Salt and pepper to taste, ¼ tsp sugar.
1 tomato - remove seeds and chop finely
- To boil pasta, boil 8 cups water with 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add pasta to boiling water. Stir to see that pasta is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Boil, stirring occasionally, for about 7-8 minutes till pasta turns almost soft, but yet firm. Do not overcook. Remove from fire leave pasta in hot water for 2-3 minutes. Strain. Leave for 5-7 minutes in strainer for all water to drain out. Spoon 1 tbsp olive oil or regular oil on cooked pasta to prevent it from sticking. Keep aside.
- To make sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add garlic and leek or spring onion. Cook stirring, till onions turn light brown.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes longer or until spinach wilts (turns soft). Remove from heat.
- Place spinach mixture and water in a mixer and blend until smooth.
- Add the grated cheese to the mixer and churn once again.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a clean pan. Add the spinach puree, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes or until sauce thickens and is heated through. Add salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Add cream and tomato. Mix and keep aside till serving time.
- At serving time, melt 1 tbsp butter in a non stick pan and toss the pasta in it till it gets heated through. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the spinach sauce. Mix gently to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Serve topped with lots of grated cheese and nuts.