Facts about coccydynia you were not aware of
- Coccydynia is caused by the continuous wear and tear around coccyx bone or tail bone.
- Coccyx or tailbone is the lowest bone in the back, which at times can lead to inflammation too.
- In some cases the cause is unknown while in others it’s caused after a surgery, fall or repetitive strain.
Youth are a symbol of power and energy. From your family members to your boss everyone expects a lot of energy and ability from younger generation. So, the youth nowadays are expected to do their work in a very smart and quick way.
We all tend to lead a sedentary lifestyle in which we spend atleast 50 hours in a week sitting in front of desktops.
This ultimately leads to acute pain and discomfort, leading to various health conditions such as depression, obesity, pain in the joints and in particular, back pain. It is when a disease named Coccydynia comes into picture.
In simpler term, coccydynia is a medical term which leads to pain in the coccyx, the tail bone. Coccyx bone is triangular in shape and is found at the base of backbone, explains Orthopedic Surgeon, Dr O.N Nagi of Gangaram Hospital.
It basically stems from sitting continuously in one position for longer periods of time.
Causes of coccydynia
Coccydynia is caused by the continuous wear and tear around coccyx bone or tail bone. Coccyx or tailbone is the lowest bone in the back, which at times can lead to inflammation too. In some cases the cause is unknown while in others it’s caused after a surgery, fall or repetitive strain.
It is becoming common in younger generation due to their lifestyle habits and lack of exercise regimen, warns Dr Nagi, thus putting immense amount of pressure on the coccyx bone.
Symptoms of coccydyniaTreatment of Coccydynia
- Pain during bowel movement.
- Pain during sex.
- Constant pain in the backbone.
- Pain during menstruation in women.
Dr O.N Nagi explains a few simple, yet effective, treatment options of coccydynia:
- The best way to prevent such pain is to not sit for a long time in the same position. However, if you have to sit for a long period of time, using a cushion could be a good idea.
- Avoid getting injured in the area where you are feeling constant pain.
- Try to practice regular exercises such as walking and jogging. A minimum of 30 minutes of exercise in a day is a must.
- If you are suffering from constant severe pain, then you make take medications as and when recommended by your physician.
- Warm massage or ultra sonic massage can also be helpful.
- Under severe circumstances surgery too can be prescribed.
- Include foods which are rich in fiber content as it’ll help in maintaining proper bowel movement, thus keeping your digestive system healthy.
To live a long and healthy life, say good-bye to your lavish lifestyle and make a habit of walking and running type of exercise regularly. Don’t ignore any kind of pain in the body, be an active, smart and a healthy person.
Image source : Getty
Read more articles on Healthy Living
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth app
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 24, 2017
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.