Facts about Breast Cancer : Get the facts about breast cancer. Some facts about breast cancer listed in a comprehensive way to enable you to understand and survive breast cancer.
Breast cancer refers to the abnormal growth and mutation of cells in the milk ducts or lobules of the breast. A few facts about cancer may help you notice its prevalence and the probability of prevention.
- Across the globe, breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer after lung cancer.
- North America, Australia and Europe have reported the highest incidence of breast cancer.
- In the last 30 years, reported incidence of breast cancer has heightened to 35% in the west.
- More than 5, 00,000 people die of breast cancer each year.
- Contrary to the belief that breast cancer is diagnosed in women, over time, numbers of males are being detected with breast cancer.
- Though it isn’t a genetic disease, there exist very high chances of women whose mother, sister or aunt had been diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 50.
- Self breast examination is the best way to detect any abnormality in the breast though doctors and numerous healthcare experts believe that self breast examination will not change the mortality rate.
- Mammograms, ultrasounds, CT scans are often considered to be the best clinical methods to detect any lumps or abnormal masses in the breast.
- First signs of breast cancer are usually visible through a mammogram juxtaposed to self examination procedures.
- Early detection of breast cancer and an early mammogram, that is, before the age of 40, if detected with breast cancer, has the highest rate of survival.
- One out of every eight women is detected with breast cancer every year.
- Every 13minutes a woman dies of breast cancer in some part of the world, the frequency of these deaths are ever increasing.
- Around 2000 cases of men have been detected in a year and approximately 800 of them die.
- More than 1.8 million of women detected with breast cancer have successfully fought it and are still alive in the United States of America.
- 72% of women detected with breast cancer, have a 5 year survival rate
- 86% of white women experience a 5 year survival rate
- 96% women, who have been detected early with breast cancer, have a higher rate of living a cancer free life.
- Over 9% of breast lumps are not cancerous, but are benign.
- Women who start their menstrual cycle early and experience menopause later are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer.
- Consumption of oral contraceptives may lead to breast cancer, but research proves that, over a span of 10 years, women who used oral contraceptives were at the same level when paralleled to women who did not consume any pill.
- Women with BRCA mutation, if they get their ovaries removed surgically, have 50% less risk of falling prey to breast cancer.
- Over 40% of women who swallow semen, once or twice a week lower their chances of breast cancer.
- Women who breast feed, do not smoke, maintain a normal weight and exercise moderately have lower chances of developing breast cancer.
Read related articles on Breast Cancer Signs and Symptoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.