Technology has taken the front seat, and especially in the last two decades, it has made rapid progress. When it comes to the health sector, it is still growing and evolving at a high pace. One such technological development in the field of medical science is that of an electric nose, also known as the e-nose. Here let us understand what an electric nose is, what it is used for and get some basic knowledge about asthma.
What is an Electronic Nose?
A device composed of an array of electronic chemical sensors with an appropriate pattern of the recognition system is an electric nose popularly known as e-nose. This emerging technology of electronic nose uses sensors to identify the mixture of gasses known as the breath print. As the mixture of these varied gasses reacts with the surface of this device’s chemical sensor, it changes its conductivity. This change in conductivity gets converted into electrical signals and creates a specific response pattern for a certain type of mixture of gasses.
Did you know that an e-nose can also help in effective management of asthma? Let’s find out in detail.
Asthma is a long term chronic condition that affects the airways and makes it difficult for the diseased person to breathe and causes wheezing. This condition involves the narrowing down of lungs accompanied by inflammation, resulting in restricted air supply to the lungs. As the oxygen is prevented from reaching the lungs either due to swelling, inflammation, or narrowing of the air passage, the oxygen can not enter the bloodstream, which means that many vital organs of the body would not receive a proper blood supply.
- An asthmatic person can experience issues like-
- Increased mucus production
- Breathlessness or short breath
- Tightness in chest
Asthma can be caused due to various reasons and can have varied contributors such as-
- Environmental factors like dust and dirt, molds, feathers, fumes, etc.
- Allergies can trigger many people and can be caused due to some allergic reaction.
- Obesity can be another contributing factor for this disease as growing body involves a chronic inflammatory response which can be a reason behind asthma in obese people.
- Smoking increases the risk of developing various lung conditions that can range from mild to severe and can cause death to active and passive smoking.
- Genes play an important role in our health condition and the diseases that we suffer from, and hence genes can be blamed for being one of the main reasons why many people have asthma.
Electronic Nose and Asthma Detection
The human breath combines various volatile organic compounds that provide essential information on the pathological and physiological processes linked to respiratory diseases. As these electronic noses use the exhaled breathing analysis, it has demonstrated a fairly good discriminative capacity. It has cross-validated the accuracy, which is more than 90% for different patients affected by asthma. Henceforth it can be said that electronic noses are capable of detecting asthma and other respiratory diseases in patients. As the device understands the breath pattern, it can compare the response pattern with various human breaths.
Read more articles on Miscellaneous
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.