World Health Day is observed every year on 7th April and Onlymyhealth is rolling out special campaign to create awareness about general health. We are bringing experts to talk about various aspects of health. Oral health is an important part which is largely ignored, causing a rise in oral problems and other health issues that are associated with poor oral health. We had an informative live session with Dr. Rajesh Shetty, Clinical Director and M.D.S, Periodontist and Implantologist where he addressed various common queries related to oral health. Using an electric toothbrush is one of the highlights of this session. Scroll down to know more about benefits, risks and how to use an electric toothbrush the right way.
Normal brushes are old-fashioned, upgrade your dental care with electric toothbrush. This is a new advancement that has caused a frenzy in the public. People are using it without knowing how to use it. Sounds crazy but it is true. Most of the users of an electric toothbrush do not know about its handling, use and cleaning.
An Electric toothbrush is an advanced toothbrush that consists of the electric motor in the handle which helps to make electric and automated bristle motions to clean the teeth. It uses electric power to move the head of the brush rapidly and doesn’t require the manual movement of hands to clean the teeth.
What are the benefits of electric toothbrush?
Let us begin with some electric toothbrush benefits.
- The automated movements of the brush head makes it more effective when it comes to removing germs, plague, and gingivitis. Oscillating toothbrushes are much more effective than the others.
- Electric toothbrushes do most of the work themselves when it comes to cleaning the teeth. It works great with people who might suffer from limited mobility such as people with Arthritis, or Development Disabilities.
- It doesn't pain one's hand during the brushing, giving more time and energy to brush their teeth for a sufficient longer amount of time, and helps greatly in removing plaque successfully from teeth, gums and mouth.
- Oral hygiene is equally important for kids as they are for adults. Most of the kids have an impatient nature which results in them lagging behind in their dental hygiene and brushing their teeth every time. The electric toothbrush helps them to engage more with brushing and effectively cleans their teeth and gums while setting healthy habits.
Who Should Use and How To Use Electric Toothbrush?
Electric toothbrush allows the user to lay back to let the brush do most of the cleaning on behalf of them, as long as they are properly guided in every part of the mouth including the corners and the surface of each tooth, effective brushing could be easily achieved even with lethargy and dexterity.
People with physical disabilities and limited mobility also get a lot of advantage as they can effectively brush their teeth on their own without the help of an external person at their aid. This allows these people to be independent when it comes to their daily activities and maintaining their personal hygiene.
Some of these diseases can be -
- Parkinson's disease
- Carpal Tunnel syndrome
- Person with disabilities
The Cons of Electric Toothbrush?
Yes, there are some cons too. Scroll down to read them.
- The electric-infused toothbrush can seem to be very advantageous for everyone who's using it. But, there also are some disadvantages which people should be equally aware of.
- The battery-powered toothbrushes are relatively higher in cost than others. Apart from the expensiveness, they also require replacement heads which again can be much pricey. Not everyone from every financial background would be able to get it covered.
- It is also very prone to damage. Most of these models require charging but the user also needs to be aware enough to not overcharge them. Once a user drops the toothbrush or otherwise damages the battery, the whole money will go to waste.
How to clean electric toothbrush?
Follow these tips to keep electric toothbrush clean and germ free:
Washing the electric toothbrush with hot water is a must after each use. It is considered as the most sanitizing method of cleaning the bristles before and after use. This helps to get rid of bacteria which might have been collected before and during the brushing. It also helped to get rid of new germs which might have collected after each use.
Soaking the toothbrush in antibacterial mouthwash also helps to get rid of bacterias. Try soaking the toothbrush in a small cup of mouthwash for about 2 minutes once the brushing is done. One can also wet the Toothbrush head with mouthwash and let it sit for the same time to get effective results.
UV Toothbrush Sanitiser - UV light Sanitiser product is easily available in the market, specially made to clean Toothbrushes, and can be invested on, to sanitise the electronic Toothbrush. Many studies have found out that UV light sanitizers have shown better results in cleaning of the brush rather than other saline solutions or chlorhexidine gluconate solutions.
Electric toothbrush is indeed a blessing for many people. But you can avail its benefits only if you know how to to use it correctly. Besides, keeping it clean is equally essential to maximize its use.
Image credits- freepik