The nutraceutical products are recognized not only for their health benefits to reduce the risk of cancer, heart diseases and other related ailments, but also to prevent or treat hypertension, high cholesterol, excessive weight, osteoporosis, diab
Nutraceuticals are a pharmaceutical alternative, consisting of products derived from food sources, which offer various physiological benefits. These specialized food products are usually associated with health and well-being, providing users with additional essential:
- amino acids
Due to a lack of relevant information and knowledge on the subject, many people tend to shy away from using these supplements. However, these dietary supplements can be used to counter a variety of deficiencies, which can help in the prevention of multiple diseases.
While dietary supplements like these can never take the place of a balanced diet, the right amount, in addition to the meal, can help the user in many ways. There are many groups of people who voluntarily keep dietary restrictions, such as:
- people with specific allergies, and such.
For these groups, taking nutraceuticals can be a healthy way of obtaining the nutrients that their bodies naturally require. Hence, the benefits that users can obtain from the use of these supplements are as follows:
- Zinc, Vitamin D3, and Iodine cannot be obtained solely from a meal plan. Taking additional supplements will provide the required amount needed by the body.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are extremely important for the human body and are majorly obtained through a weekly consumption of seafood. For vegetarians and vegans, taking supplements for the same is crucial.
- Many anti-oxidants such as Co Q10, which are essential for heart health and reproductive health, including fertility and immune health, cannot be obtained easily from food sources.
- For those afflicted by lactose intolerance, taking calcium supplements will help in maintaining bone strength and avoid calcium deficiency.
- Pregnant women need at least a400 mcg dose of Folic Acid daily. Thus, these women need to take Folic Acid tablets for a healthy pregnancy.
- As the human body ages, it begins to lose the ability to absorb certain vitamins and minerals from food alone. Due to this, older adults must take additional supplements for fulfilling their Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, iron, and calcium requirements.
- People who have recently gone through a surgery experience a loss of essential minerals and vitamins, and need dietary supplements to bring back the body’s health. For example, for patients who have undergone weight-loss surgery, supplements containing Vitamins A, D, E, K, Vitamin Bs, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, Copper, and Magnesium, are crucial for bettering health.
All the vitamins and minerals play an important role in the smooth functioning of the body’s systems. It is important to remember that nutraceutical supplements cannot take the place of a balanced diet, but they can be used to enhance the diet, and help the body cover all bases, in terms of nutrition. People of all ages can consume multivitamins on a long-term basis, to ensure they lead a healthy life when combined with an active lifestyle and a healthy diet.
(With inputs from Mr. Rohit Shelatkar, Fitness and Nutrition Expert and VP at Vitabiotics Ltd)
Read more on Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.