Ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis concentrates on balancing the three dosha. Abhayanga, Sweda and Njavarakizhi are some ayurvedic therapies to cure osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis or sandhi vaat as it is known in Ayurveda, is a degenerative joint disorder. This means that the protective cartridge and soft tissues covering the bones in the lower part of our body start breaking due to some cause or the other. This condition makes the joints stiff and they pain after any activity or after prolonged periods of rest. In addition to the allopathic treatment for osteoarthritis, there is also ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis.
As you know, ayurveda states that there are three bio-energies or doshas which control the various functions of our body. These doshas are vata, kapha and pitta. When a person suffers from any disease, it is because of the imbalance in these doshas. Osteoarthritis is caused due to an imbalance in the vata dosha and hence the ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis will concentrate on balancing this dosha, which, in turn will ease the person from this pain.
The ayurvedic medicines available contain herbs like:
- Guggul: To strengthen the tissues.
- Triphala: To clean the body of toxins.
- Ashwagandha: Relax the body and mind and boost the nervous system.
- Bala: To increase the blood circulation in the body, to reduce pain, to heal the nerves as well as to stimulate the growth of tissues in the body.
- Shallaki: For its anti-inflammatory properties and the properties of being able to repair tissues close to the bones of the body.
Various ayurvedic medicines are available in the market, which will help in proving relief and cure from osteoarthritis. However, it is essential to consult your doctor and an ayurvedic doctor since they will be able to give you the right medicines.
Apart from the medicines there are therapies in ayurveda to treat osteoarthritis. There are several ayurvedic massage therapy centers which will have them. Some of these therapies are:
- Abhayanga: Which is an herbal oil massage to stimulate strengthening of the tissues and improving blood circulation.
- Sweda: Medicated steam bath for detoxification and reduction in body pain.
- Njavarakizhi: Which is a rejuvenation massage and which also helps in strengthening the tissues.
In addition to the above, there are some other things to be kept in mind while undergoing ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis.
- Walk daily for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Do not over exert your self.
- Include ghee and oil in regular diet, in moderate quantities since they will help lubricate the tissues and joints.
- Avoid packaged foods; prepare fresh food everyday and try to eat it while it is hot.
- Avoid soft and fizzy drinks at all costs since they harm the working of the body.
- Avoid spicy, pungent and very oily food.
Read more articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.