As generally understood about Ayurvedic remedies, Ayurvedic hair care has a holistic approach, as a vital part of overall health care. Mere external applications are not considered sufficient for keeping the hair full of life, lustre, sheen, colour, vitality and healthy growth. Ahar-vihara, i.e diet and lifestyle are two major factors that have an influence on your body and hair. Irregular dietary or lifestyle choices lead to deficiency of a vitamin in particular, causing many hair problems such as early baldness, thinning of hair, dandruff, premature greying and several others.
These are the basics of hair care you should remember to keep your hair healthy
- Scalp Massage – Medicated oil applied on hair provides nourishment to the hair and makes it look long, shiny and thick. Herbs such as Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Japa (Hibiscus) or Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba) enhance circulation of blood to the scalp besides providing nourishment to hair follicle. Thrice a week, Narikela (coconut) oil or Sarshapi (mustard) oil should be applied. Other Ayurvedic oils which may be used are Bhringraja oil, Neelibhringadi oil, Mahabhringraja oil and Brahmi-Amla. They not only nourish your hair and scalp but also help to drive stress away.
- Hair Cleansing – Use gentle soaps for cleansing your hair. This would avoid clogged hair follicles and prevent itching in your scalp. Over shampooing or using a harsh shampoo can lead to dry or damaged hair. Do not blow-dry your hair. Brushing your hair is also a way of cleansing as it stimulates the scalp’s oil producing glands besides getting rid of unwanted particles. Washing hair with lemon juice mixed with warm water gives the hair some extra shine.
- Sleep – This might surprise some but Ayurvedic healthy lifestyle concept includes this as an important part of hair care. Since, during sleep the body repairs tissues and rebalances the system, going to bed before 11 can improve your hair.
- Control stress - Practise relaxation techniques like meditation as they can help to get rid of harmful hormones that cause hair loss.
- Eat a balanced diet - Include green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, nuts and sprouts in your diet. Healthy diet naturally leads to healthy hair.
- Avoid harmful foods - Cut down on processed and canned foods because they contain preservatives and chemical additives that can harm your body’s metabolism and indirectly harm your hair in the process.
Read more articles on Ayurvedic treatment