Ear pain can be piercing which may cause extreme discomfort. Occasional pain can be ignored but sometimes this could be a cause of an underlying problem such as sinus infection, tonsillitis, cavities, etc. If you ever suffer an acute, unbearable pain frequently, consulting an ENT specialist is the right thing to do.
There are three sections of the human ear: inner ear, middle ear and outer ear. Most of the time, earaches either cause discomfort to one section or all the sections. In general, there are two types of ear infections: external ear infection(otitis externa) and middle ear infection(otitis media).
Symptoms of external ear infection
- Inflammation in the ear
- Itching in the ear
- Temporary hearing loss
- Sharp and intense ear pain
- Mild fever
Symptoms of middle ear infection
- Problem in hearing in the infected ear
- Acute pain
- Severe itching
- Fluid discharge
Why do ears pain?
As per Ayurveda, vitiated Kapha and Vata dosha causes ear pain. Kapha dosha vitiation causes uncontrolled itching, persistent swelling, mild pain, abnormal hearing, white discharge from the infected ear. On the other hand, Vata dosha vitiation causes tinnitus, dried ear wax, discharge from the ear, deafness, sharp pain in the infected ear, etc.
Home Remedies For Ear Pain/Infection
#1 Garlic oil
Garlic has great analgesic and antibiotic properties which can help in reducing earaches. Here is the step-by-step process to prepare garlic oil:
- Crush garlic cloves.
- In a pan, heat 3-4 teaspoons olive or sesame oil.
- Add crushed garlic to the oil keep it aside to cool down.
- Put 2-3 drops of garlic oil in the infected ear regularly until you get relief.
Similar to garlic, ginger too has great anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Take out some ginger juice and add 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil to it.
- Mix both and put 3-4 drops of this liquid into the infected ear regularly until you get relief.
#3 Tea Tree Oil
The antibacterial properties of tea tree oil make it an effective home remedy for ear pain.
- Warm some olive oil and add 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil to it.
- Let it cool down.
- Put 3-4 drops of this mixture in the ear which is paining regularly until you get relief.
#4 Mango Leaf Juice
Not many people know but mango leaves possess antibiotic properties which can prove to be helpful in treating earaches.
- Crush a few freshly plucked mango leaves.
- Squeeze out its juice.
- Warm the juice a bit before putting this into the infected ear.
#5 Drink Herbal Tea
Herbal teas are good for overall health as these are proven to treat infections including ear infection. Also, these have soothing properties to lessen the painful sensation.
You may drink basil(tulsi) or chamomile tea to get relief in the ear pain.
#6 Apple Cider Vinegar
Last but not the least, apple cider vinegar or ACV is a potent remedy for earaches for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Just put 3-4 drops of diluted ACV in the infected ear at every 12-hour interval.
These are natural remedies and therefore won’t produce instant results. You have to follow these tips daily to get the desired results.
Read more in Ayurveda