There are conditions that can be responsible for shortness of breath, know the conditions and tips to prevent it.
There are numerous health issues that are linked to each other. This happens more evidently in conditions related to respiratory system and digestive system. Gastritis and other gas related issues can actually cause respiratory problems such as breathlessness. This also happens in the case of acid reflux leakage, when it goes into oesophagus again and results in shortness of breath. These conditions can increase the risk of other respiratory issues such as asthma and stroke. Today we will try to find out the link between these two conditions and discuss ways to prevent it.
We spoke to expert Dr. Nivedita Shukla, Consultant Gastroenterologist at Ivory Hospital, Greater Noida. She told us that certain digestive disorders may as a by-product cause blockage or affect the functioning of the respiratory functions. As a result of this, the breathing power in influenced and shortness of breath occurs. This happens especially in the case of acid reflux and Gastroesophageal reflux disease. You may have heartburn, congestion and some general symptoms that can determine condition of shortness of breath. If not treated in time, these conditions together can cause medical complications and respiratory issues.
Acid reflux is caused when acid leaks up in the back of the stomach and goes up to the oesophagus. Because of this condition the acid blocks or creates problem with the airways and cause it to swell. Therefore it results to shortness of breath in people. Breathing difficulties can be evident in both of these conditions and there are ways in which it can be treated within a few days.
Another gas problem creating breathlessness can be in conditions like GERD and Asthma. As we all know patients having asthma can have problems while breathing due to slightest of dysfunctions. In the GERD condition, the acid which comes out as by product in the body increases the chances of causing shortness of breath and severe asthma by about 87%. People having GERD are more likely to suffer from breathlessness thereafter.
Oesophagus does send a warning signal to the brain that triggers the airway contact and causes shortness of breath. If this gas condition is left untreated then it may trigger asthma symptoms. It also causes more air pressure to be exerted in the air pipe.
There could be other conditions as well which come as symptoms of having gas issues in the body and result to shortness of breath. These conditions as associated with acid reflux that can cause complication to person with respiratory disorder. Here are some conditions that increase the risk of shortness of breath-
All of these conditions can cause shortness of breath and breathing difficulties in the person. However it is not necessary and can be treated if it is diagnosed at the right time.
1. To minimize the risk of problems, you can take the following steps in order to achieve better health.
2. Try to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight that can lower down your GERD problems and reduce risk of breathing problems
3. Avoid lying down within 3-4 hours just after having a meal. This actually creates more digestive problems which might then cause shortness of breath.
4. Quit smoking, smoking has direct relation to shortness of breath; people who smoke are more likely to cause fatalities of breathlessness.
5. Sleep in a comfortable position and keep your head slightly above the rest of the body. This prevents night time acid reflux from happening.
6. Keep your body aligned maximum time possible, it helps in preventing digestive problems and thus prevents respiratory issues as well.
7. An important point is to keep you clothes, belt, shoes and other accessories a little loose. This help your body breathe and does not blocks skin pores. Also wearing tight clothes puts pressure on the abdomen which might cause respiratory problems.
8. Avoid eating foods that can trigger gas and GERD problems such as citrus and acidic foods in your diet.
9. Reduce alcohol consumption and avoid drinking just before sleeping, it causes many chemicals to react and slow down body functions. This might cause breathlessness and health complications.
10. Always eat in smaller and more frequent meals, it aids digestion. Large meals or heavy meals put pressure of digestive organs which cause problems such as gas and acidity.
Also Read- shutterstock.com, pixabay.com
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.