How to control the cholesterol level at home? Try these ayurvedic principles.
How to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides naturally? High cholesterol levels lead to the development of fatty deposits in the blood vessels, which can hinder blood flow through arteries and contribute to heart diseases. What natural products can reduce cholesterol? Here is a quick explanation for all the different types of fats present in one’s diet. This will allow you to identify the sources and understand them. UNSATURATED FAT, SATURATED FAT, AND TRANS FAT: All these fats increase the Total Blood Cholesterol (TBC) levels & are associated with increased risk of heart disease improve the Total Blood Cholesterol (TBC) levels & reduce the risk of heart disease. These are artificial fats – that raise the bad cholesterol (LDL) & hence the risk of heart diseases and type 2 diabetes deal Consumption: < 10% of daily calories ideal consumption: between 25% & 35% of total calories consumed.
Some of the natural products that can help to cut down the Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in the body are:
- Citrus fruits (Rich in fast-absorbing pectin)
- Nuts and seeds (Protect heart health)
- Oats and whole grains (High insoluble fibre)
- Tofu and soy milk (low in saturated fats)
- Fatty fish (Contains omega-3s that reduce triglycerides)
- Ginger (Boosts HDL cholesterol)
- Legumes (Good sources of plant-based proteins)
- Avocados (Exceptional nutrient-dense fruit)
What foods should you stay away from to lower your cholesterol?
- The good news is that it is possible to lower your cholesterol to optimal levels via lifestyle changes and healthy nutrition intake.
- Lifestyle should include eating healthy food, exercising and losing weight to managing the fat content in your body appropriately, limiting/quitting smoking and consuming alcohol in moderation.
- Healthy Nutrition food intake that helps reduce cholesterol include whole grains, fibre from fruits, vegetables, flax seeds and fatty fish.
Here are 10 essential diet tips and herbal remedies to regulate cholesterol, as suggested by Dr Chanchal Sharma:
- Stick to a Kapha-pacifying diet: Avoid fatty, cheese, processed foods, yoghurt or high-fat milk. Minimise the consumption of cold drinks, foods and sweets.
- Use of garlic and ginger: An active ingredient present in garlic, known as Allicin, contribute to lower cholesterol levels. Garlic should be mix with one clove of fresh garlic, ginger root and lime juice. This mixture should be taken before the meal. The herb has moderate hypolipidemic effects on cholesterol levels. It can be taken multiple times as advised by Ayurvedic Doctor.
- Trikatu-cinnamon tea: Drink a tea made of one-fourth teaspoon of the herbal mixture trikatu and one teaspoon cinnamon. Steep it for ten minutes in a cupful of water; add one teaspoon honey and drink. Take it about twice a day.
- ‘Trikatu’ with honey: Taking half teaspoon ‘Trikatu’ with one teaspoon honey, 2-3 times a day, is suitable for burning. Aama (digestive fire) and excess Kapha and further helping regulate cholesterol.
- Triphala with warm water: Drink One Tea Spoon of Triphala churna along with warm water. This will help to scrape off the fat from your system and lower cholesterol level.
- Dietary changes: To reduce cholesterol patients diet should increase more intake of millets, quinoa, oatmeal, wheat, apples, grapefruit, and almonds help to reduce high cholesterol. Avoid cheese, sweets, sour, fatty, salty and processed foods.
- Apple cider vinegar and methi seeds: A hot cup of water with ten drops of cider vinegar and one spoon lime juice help to reduce cholesterol. Methi Seeds help lower cholesterol, and Methi seeds should be used in food.
- Ahaar-Vihar: Do not forget to eat a healthy diet and lead the right lifestyle to ensure healthy cholesterol levels, Ahaar Vihar is the best practices of Ayurved that can help to reduce cholesterol.
- Ayurvedic Medicine: Chitrak-Adhivati is an essential Ayurvedic Medicine that is effective for reducing Cholesterol.
- Physical activity: Make sure you engage in a minimum of 60 minutes of physical activities to regulate cholesterol.
Are there any ayurvedic medicines to control cholesterol?
Ayurvedic Medicine was taken under the guidance of the Ayurvedic Practitioner. Dr Chanchal Sharma is suggesting some standard Ayurvedic Medicine. In an Ayurvedic Case Paper, A study of 87 people with high cholesterol, given 5 grams of arjuna powder twice daily for three weeks, followed by 500 mg of arogyavardhini Vati twice daily for four weeks, significantly reduced total cholesterol and LDL and raising HDL.
- Mustadi Ghanavti has been many case paper and Ayurvedic Studies to prove its efficacy to high cholesterol. Mustadi Ghanvati contains Turmeric and Indian Barbary.
- Ayurvedic herbs provide plant compounds that have cholesterol-lowering properties, such as promoting cholesterol breakdown in the body.
"Potent with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, herbs can help to manage the cholesterol levels in the body and reduce heart diseases," says Ayurveda Expert Shreyansh Jain, Chief Executive, Medy365.com.
- Basil: A chemical substance, known as Eugenol, found in basil help to block certain substances that tighten the blood vessels.
- Cardamom: High anti-oxidant levels in the delicious herb aid weight loss, reduce triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Celery seed: Rich in nutrients, celery seeds lower LDL cholesterol levels and increase HDL cholesterol levels in the body.
Takeaway Tips For Reducing Cholesterol As Per Ayurveda
Try these most effective ayurvedic home remedies by Ayurveda Expert Shreyansh Jain.
- Coriander Seeds: Dhaniya seeds are used in Ayurveda for lowering bad cholesterol. Coriander seeds are having vitamins like folic acid, vitamin A and beta-carotene, and most importantly, vitamin C.
- Psyllium husk: Psyllium husk can be used to reduce cholesterol.
- Fenugreek seeds: Methi seeds are rich in Vitamin E and possess antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties, which help to reduce cholesterol.
- Amla: Amla is the richest sources of Vitamin C and phenolic. Amla used to reduce cholesterol.
- Do you know that lifestyle changes can be made at any age? Yes, it's true; also, they are beneficial in helping lower cholesterol levels. The critical significant lifestyle changes are described below.
- Change dietary habits: Opt for coloured fruits & vegetables and avoid trans-fats. It reduces stress and improves mental strength. Avoid trans-fats, consume unsaturated fibre (and fats) and limit saturated fats. This helps a strong will to follow desire routine, healthy diet and lifestyle choices during the day. Eat more fibre and consume foods with unsaturated fat: Replace pasta and white bread with whole grains. Add plenty of green legumes and fruits in your daily diet.
- Yoga asanas: Surya namaskar should be part of the routine. Pranayama is recommended for controlling cholesterol, Pranayama help to clean srotas (channels). Kapha routine discourages sleeping during the day, as this slow down metabolism.
- Exercise daily: Aerobic exercises enhance the lipid-lowering effects and promote heart health. One-hour workout every day balances the Agni, for metabolizing fat and cholesterol. Practice meditation every day.
- Keep weight in check: Weight loss increases beneficial High-density Lipid cholesterol (HDL) and lowers unhealthy Low-density cholesterol levels (LDL).
- Avoid smoking: Smoking tends to increase LDL and decrease HDL, which can aggravate the development of clogged arteries.
- Consume alcohol in moderation: Too much alcohol can affect the liver and increase the risk of heart diseases.
Read More Articles in Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.