If we talk about menstrual products, the most common on is a pad. Over 80% of the women use menstrual pads during menstruation because of easy availability and use. However, there is a disbelief that pads are affordable, in reality, there are more affordable options out there such as a menstrual cup. This might look tricky to use but once you get hold of it, your life would become very easy. Also, considering vaginal infections in mind especially during monsoon, experts suggest using menstrual pads is safer. To know why using menstrual cups during monsoon is good for intimate hygiene, keep reading this article.
Common intimate hygiene problems during monsoon
Since virus, bacteria and fungi thrive in monsoon season, they can cause several infections including vaginal infections. A lot of women experience the following common intimate hygiene problems due to monsoon season:
- Fungal infection due to high moisture in the area
- Retention of sweat can cause rashes, vaginal infection and UTI’s
- Disturbance in vaginal pH balance
- Itchy Vagina
Using a pad only increases the risk because it is used externally and if you don’t change it every 5-6 hours, it can create a lot of trouble for your intimate health.
How menstrual cups help in monsoon?
According to Mr. Karan Gupta, Director Namyaa Skincare, during the monsoon season, the humidity level is high hence it is important to keep the area dry as it would lead to decreased moisture and decreased breeding grounds for bacteria. Menstrual Cups do not absorb vaginal fluid and make the area dry nor do they cause rashes due to increase in humidity. Cups are the best as they are easily washable and reusable.
Also Read: Pros And Cons Of Using Menstrual Cups
How to use a menstrual cup?
- Menstrual cups are very easy to use as they are small, flexible and bell shaped cups made of rubber or silicone.
- Before using the cups sanitize your hand properly.
- Apply water on the rim of the menstrual cups, holding it with single hand with rim facing upwards.
- Insert the cup in the vagina, push it upwards, and keep it a few inches below your cervix areas.
- Once the cup is in the vagina, release the fingers from below, it will open up automatically to create an airtight seal or suction that will prevent from leaks.
- You should always sanitize, washed and wiped off after every use to avoid any infections.
Also, here are some precautions to take while using a menstrual cup:
- Menstrual cups are usually safe as long as you insert them with clean hands, remove them carefully, and clean them appropriately.
- A menstrual cup can be used for up to 5 years.
- Always make sure that the cups are clean as well as your hands else it may cause irritation.
How to buy a menstrual cup?
Before using menstrual cup, always know the exact size and length of the cervix. Various other factors like the strength of the pelvic floor muscles, how heavy is the flow as per which one could decide the flexibility and the cup capacity. Their various sizes of the menstrual cup available in the market. Smaller menstrual cups are recommended for younger women with age bracket of less than 30 years who haven’t delivered the vaginally. Larger sizes are recommended for women who are over 30 years of age, have given birth vaginally or have a heavier period.
Menstrual cups are highly safe, affordable and easy-to-use. Once you start using them, there will be no looking back. There are various brands that produce high-quality menstrual cups which are safe for use and sustain for long term. Invest in a menstrual cup and protect yourself from common infections and intimate hygiene problems during monsoon.
Read More Articles in Women’s Health
Images source- freepik.com
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.