Postpartum Depression Signs and Symptoms- Symptoms of postpartum Depression vary in severity. Women can develop mild pregnancy blues to severe postnatal depression.
Depression after childbirth can vary in severity from mild baby blues (a period of mild depression) to postnatal depression (PND) to the most severe form or what is popularly known as- the postnatal psychosis. The signs and symptoms of postpartum depression depend on the severity of depression. Read to know the signs and symptoms of postnatal or postpartum Depression.
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
Postpartum depression may initially seem like baby blues — but the signs and symptoms become intense and last longer. The symptoms can interfere with the mother’s ability to take care of the baby and do other daily activities. If the postpartum depression is not treated it may last for a year or more. The symptoms of PND are very much like 'ordinary' depression. Signs and symptoms of postpartum depression may include:
- Insomnia, Disturbed sleep and difficulty in falling asleep.
- Often feeling anxious,irritable,angry
- Feeling low or miserable
- Feeling excessively tired, overwhelming fatigue and lethargic.
- Loss of interest in sex.
- Loss of interest in enjoying any activity such as loss of interest in hobbies and other social activities.
- Change in appetite.
- Feeling useless, worthless or guilty.
- Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy.
- Drastic changes in mood.
- Difficulty in bonding with the baby.
- Withdrawal/secluding yourself from family and friends.
- Negative thoughts such as thoughts of harming yourself or the baby.
Read more articles on Postpartum Depression Signs and Symptoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.