This is an alternative procedure to the major surgeries like bypass or sleeve.
In this procedure the band is a simple silicone ring with an inflatable balloon fitted on the inside. The balloon is connected to an injection port by a long, thin, kink resistant silicone tubing. Like a wrist- watch, the band is fastened around the upper stomach, about 15mm below the gastro-esophageal junction. This divides the stomach into a small upper pouch (15ml) and the remainder lower stomach. The band creates an hourglass shaped stomach having a small upper pouch with a narrow outlet. The new small upper gastric pouch restricts the amount of food stomach can hold and that can be consumed at one time. So one feels full and satisfied after a small meal. The narrowed outlet increases the time it takes for the stomach to empty. One therefore feels full for a longer time with no desire to eat. The subsequent reduction in food intake results in weight loss.
- This is a reversible procedure. Whenever the person feels the desired weight loss, the band can be taken out laparoscopically.
- No life long supplementation of vitamins required.
- The weight loss is unpredictable in this procedure.
- Band slippage.
- Infection of the band may be possible.
- Chances of a large food piece getting choked at the level of the band. Then the patient has to visit the respective surgeon to release the band immediately.
- The hunger is not eliminated and the patient still has the desire to eat. Hence this gastric banding requires a lot of commitment from the patient as well.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.