Easy Ways to Treat Hypothyroidism Naturally
- A natural hypothyroid treatment approach tries to get to the underlying cause
- Make protein a part of each meal to restore the thyroid function
- Maintaining thyroid minerals at healthy levels is another requisite
- You must exercise at least 15 minutes every day for optimal thyroid function
If you suffer from hypothyroidism (condition of underactive thyroid), you must be wondering if there is a way to treat it naturally. Yes, there are things that you can do to restore your thyroid function.
Hypothyroidism is one of the thyroid conditions in which thyroid gland cannot produce enough thyroid hormones. Lacking these hormones, our body is not able to perform its functions properly.
Just like standard medical treatments, a natural hypothyroid treatment approach also tries to get to the underlying cause of your disorder. In other words, a natural treatment determines what is causing your thyroid gland to malfunction.
- Protein intake: Protein helps transport thyroid hormone to all your tissues, which is why you need to up the protein. Make protein a part of each meal to restore the thyroid function. Some excellent sources of protein are nuts, eggs, lean meat, fish and legumes
- Less caffeine and sugar: Hypothyroid patients must reduce their caffeine and sugar consumption. Rather, you can include refined carbohydrates like flour in your diet which the body treats like sugar
- Carbohydrates: If you eat simple carbs such as corn, cakes, white flour, pasta and sugary breakfast cereal, your insulin levels may spike. Choose complex carbohydrates; they are a great source of energy and don’t wreak havoc on your insulin levels. Eat whole fruits and veggies to restore thyroid imbalance
- Vegetables: It is advised for you to eat non-starchy vegetables, rather than grain-based carbohydrates
- The smaller but more often meals: You want to avoid high blood sugar levels because hypothyroid is associated with insulin resistance. Large meal portions generate a massive insulin release that causes those calories to be stored as fat. Therefore, you should be eating smaller but frequent meals. This will ensure that your body is never deprived of nutrients
Ascertain Healthy Levels of Thyroid Minerals
Your metabolism will suffer if you are deficient of certain minerals essential for thyroid function. Maintaining thyroid minerals at healthy levels is a requisite to treat hypothyroidism naturally. Incorporate seafood, cranberries and strawberries in your diet to ascertain healthy levels of thyroid minerals. Selenium and zinc are other minerals that support healthy T3 levels; good sources of the two include lamb, fish, eggs, shellfish, oysters, meats, pumpkin seeds, onions and wheat germ.
Also read: Different Stages of Thyroid Cancer
Abstain from Alcohol
Alcohol takes off minerals from your body besides dehydrating you. Moreover, drinking alcoholic beverages makes you crave for unhealthy foods. It adds to the metabolic imbalance and complicates the condition even further.
You must exercise at least 15 minutes every day for optimal thyroid function. Staying active is one of the ways you can lower insulin levels and increase thyroid function. Besides, a moderate intensity workout will improve your general health, help you maintain a healthy weight and ensure that the carbs you eat are used for energy instead of fat deposits.
Not everyone can treat thyroid imbalance with natural treatment methods. The reason natural treatments don’t work for everyone is that the person has suffered the problem since long or they have had a history of thyroid surgery.
Read more articles on Thyroid.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 28, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.