Viral Fever takes a toll on the city with the change in weather
- Viral illnesses and cold-related ailments have taken a toll on the city
- There is an increase of nearly 30 percent in the patients with a sore throat, cough, runny nose, and fever
- The viral infections are most likely the result of the change in the season
Viral illnesses and cold-related ailments have taken a toll on the city. There is a significant rise in the number of these cases in the past few days.
According to Dr Suranjit Chatterjee, senior consultant at Apollo Hospital, there is an increase of nearly 30 percent in the patients with a sore throat, cough, runny nose, and fever.
Doctors at Max Hospital are also seeing an exceptionally high number of elderly people with pneumonia.
“Many patients are getting viral illnesses in spite of preventive vaccination,” said Dr Sandeep Budhiraja, senior director of internal medicine at Max Hospital, Saket.
“At this time, when people come in with fever, we assume that it is a viral infection because that is what is doing the rounds. If it does not resolve on its own in three-to-five days and shows symptoms consistent with dengue or typhoid, we get them tested. The hospital is getting sporadic cases of both dengue and typhoid as well,” said Dr Srikant Sharma, a senior consulting physician at Moolchand Hospital.
“When the temperature drops suddenly, the body is not accustomed to it, which is why there is a rise in the number of viral infections during this time every year,” said Dr Chatterjee.
The viral infections are most likely the result of the change in the season.
Swine flu in the city has amounted to the death of one person till now and 22 others have been found positive for the flu in Delhi.
Here are some ways to prevent Viral fever:
- Consume boiled water, instead of cold water
- Do not exercise outside early in the morning
- Eat healthy food like green vegetables and fruits
- Cover your mouth and head before you go out
- Use tissues to clean your hands and prevent spreading infections
- Remember viral fever is highly contagious, so avoid going to crowded places if you are infected
- Orange juice at room temperature can help with the fever. It provides energy, increases urine output and helps flush out toxins from the body
- The juice of basil mixed with ginger and honey helps with a cough, cold, and fever
- Eat garlic or onions in the form of soup to help with cold and cough
- Take three teaspoonfuls of honey, two teaspoonfuls of fresh lime juice and a teaspoonful of brandy or ginger juice. Mix this and take a teaspoonful of the mixture three to four times a day. This mixture should be made fresh daily. Vitamin C in lime juice increases resistance reduces toxicity and cuts down the course of the illness. Honey is quickly absorbed and gives instant energy
Read more Health News.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 07, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.