There are several plant-based milk options that one can choose to avoid dairy. Learn plant-based milk benefits and sources.
Plant-based milk or vegan milk is extremely popular amongst users who care for the planet and want to avoid adding any stress on it with their diet. Another reason for the increasing popularity of non-dairy milk can be attributed to the human population's reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Studies have pointed out that about 90 percent of the adults in the world are mildly lactose intolerant. The widespread switch to veganism around the world has added more reasons for plant-based milk to be accepted and be made available easily. There is a range of plant-based milk options available to suit everybody’s taste these days. This article includes easily available plant-based milks and why they are good for your health.
Almond milk is made by soaking almonds in water and then blending and straining away the solids. Here are other reasons to try almond milk:
- Unsweetened almond milk is low in calories and in carbohydrates making it suitable for a low-carb diet.
- Researchers have suggested that almond milk is an effective alternative for children and adults who suffer from allergies or intolerances to milk.
- Compared to rice and soy milk, almond milk naturally has the most vitamins and minerals including copper, zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium etc.
Here is another nut milk that is rich in flavours and health benefits. Earlier, pistachio paste was sold from which you could prepare pistachio milk by adding water to it. Other bottled pistachio milk contain a combination of nuts including almonds.
- Pistachio milk provides protein fibre and fewer calories.
- In some fortified pistachio milk, calcium, potassium and iron are also present.
- Pistachios have monounsaturated fats which are great for heart health.
- Pistachio milk is good for diabetic people and better than dairy milk.
- Pistachio milk is delicious and can be used in a variety of dishes.
This type of milk is made from the white flesh of a coconut.
- Coconut milk has a pleasant flavour and has less protein than almond milk.
- In comparison to other plant-based milk types, coconut milk contains small amounts of beneficial medium-chain triglycerides that are beneficial for one's overall health.
- Coconut milk helps in improving one’s immune system.
Naturally sweet from the oats, oat milk is nutritious and contains soluble fiber. Enriched with vitamins and calcium, the milk has a low saturated fat content. Here are some pointers stated by Kunal Mutha, Founder, Only Earth about oat milk:
- The soluble fiber in it gives the milk a creamy texture.
- It also helps stabilize your blood sugar levels.
- However, in comparison to other plant-based milks, oat milk has the highest number of calories and carbohydrates.
Plant-based milk benefits
Plant-based milk offers both environmental and nutritional benefits. Plants used in alternative milk beverages require less land, water, fertilizer, and energy to produce than dairy cattle. Here is the list of health benefits of plant-based milks:
- For people seeking to follow plant-forward diets, plant milks offer a good alternative to cow’s milk.
- Plant-based milk options are typically lower in saturated fat and calories than cow’s milk and provide some of the nutritional benefits of the whole plant themselves.
- Plant milk options are also good for those who have milk allergies or are lactose intolerant.
It is not easy to switch to plant-based milks especially when you are habitual of consuming dairy milk. The shift might be discomforting in the beginning but as you proceed, your body and palates will develop the taste. Also, these milks are rich in taste and go well with teas, coffees, smoothies and other dishes. Once you start consuming these, there will be no looking back.
Read More Articled in Healthy Diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.