Do you know that regular physical activity boosts immunity and improves muscle strength in children?
How to increase immunity naturally at home? A healthy body, with good natural innate/natural immunity, helps to reduce the chances of having a disease from pathogens like virus, bacteria etc. around us. Also, in a healthy body resides a healthy brain. It is vital to have a strong natural immunity to prevent the body from acquiring infectious diseases. Dr Puja Kapoor, Pediatric neurologist & Co-Founder of Continua Kids shares various simple lifestyle methods for enhancing immunity.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, whole grains and fruits: This food have vitamins and minerals, especially antioxidants and epithelial lining vitamins like Vit E, Vit A and zinc element, which helps to fight the body against germs. A balanced diet consisting of fat, protein, carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and water is essential to ward off numerous diseases and health complications.
- Wash your hands: Washing your hands repeatedly with water and soap, helps to eliminate the germs which can have easy access to the mouth due to the habit of touching face at intervals. It is an easy way to keep away from bacteria leading to complicated diseases. The child should be taught the proper technique of washing the hands at an early age so that it becomes a regular practice later in life.
- Drink plenty of water: It is crucial to keep the body hydrated to have a healthy body. Drinking 8 glasses of water in a day is critical in staying fit and maintaining the function of every system in our body. Water carries nutrients to our cells and flush out bacteria from our bodies and prevent constipation.
- Get enough sleep: Eight to 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep is essential for the proper functioning of body and mind and thus to be healthy. It is vital to maintain “sleep hygiene” and avoid screentime at least 2 hours before bedtime. Screentime, with its blue light, disrupts the secretion of melatonin hormone and causes disturbance in the initiation of sleep.
- Maintenance of oral hygiene: Brushing of teeth twice daily, especially before the bedtime, is a crucial part in the maintenance of oral health. The oral cavity is the hub for organisms which multiply and can cause caries and tonsillitis and other diseases of the oral cavity. Brushing helps in removal of germs and thus helps in the prevention of diseases.
- Get your vaccination complete: Vaccine is available for many communicable diseases. It is advisable to vaccinate the child against all possible vaccine-preventable diseases to develop immunity against these diseases.
- Control the weight: The child should have age-appropriate influence. Both undernourished or an overweighted child is more prone for communicable (infectious) as well as non- contagious (non-infectious) disease. An overweight or obese child is equally likely for contracting of illness as an underweight child. Feed your child with healthy and balanced food with adequate physical exercise.
- Physical exercise: Regular exercise is equally beneficial both for physical health as well as for mental well being. It stimulates chemicals that have a positive impact on depression, anxiety, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It improves memory and helps to sleep better and thus boosts overall mood and well being.
Read more articles on Children's Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.