Swine Flu Prevention during Pregnancy: Pregnant women are at higher risk for swine flu complications and severe illness as compared to other healthy women. H1N1 flu can cause serious health problems during pregnancy.
Pregnant women are at higher risk for swine flu complications and severe illness as compared to other healthy adults. H1N1 flu can cause serious health problems in pregnant women.
- Pregnant women can become sicker as compared to other healthy adults with H1N1 flu.
- The risk of hospitalization is higher in pregnant women.
- Complications of H1N1 flu include pneumonia, preterm labor and death.
- H1N1 infection can cause serious problems for the unborn baby as well.
Consult your doctor immediately if have flu like illness or have come in close contact with a person who has flu. Antiviral medicines to treat H1N1 flu are recommended for pregnant women who have signs and symptoms of flu.
Prevention from H1N1 flu
Get vaccinated with H1N1 flu as it is the best way to protect against swine flu (when vaccines are available). Consult your doctor regarding seasonal flu shot as well. Both the vaccines are recommended as they not only protect you but protect your baby as well who cannot be vaccinated upto 6 months of age.
The H1N1 flu vaccine is considered safe in pregnant women. The regular flu vaccine is being given to pregnant women for many years now and it has been shown to be safe and effective. The H1N1 flu vaccine is made in the same way as the regular flu vaccine.
Consult your doctor immediately if have flu like illness or have come in close contact with a person who has flu. Your doctor may advice Tamiflu® or Relenza® for 10 days to help prevent H1N1 flu.
Everyday steps to protect your health and the health of your family, follow the following steps regularly to protect your and your family’s health;
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water for 20 seconds . This is one of the best way to prevent many common infections. If soap and water is not available use an alcohol-based hand gel to clean hands.
- Clean all surfaces (such as door handles, remote control, tables, counters, hand rails and computer keyboards) often to remove the germs
- Use tissues to cover mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing. Dispose the used tissue in trash as soon as possible. If you do not have tissue, sneeze into your sleeve or elbow.
- Remember not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth as infection spreads this way.
- Do not go near a person with flu like illness.
- Do not attend public gatherings as the risk of exposure to H1N1 virus is increased.
- Monitor your health for fever, other symptoms of the flu and how you are feeling.
- Make a separate sick room in the house for the care of any sick family member and if possible have someone else to take care of the sick family member.
Consult your doctor immediately if have flu like illness or have come in close contact with a person who has flu. Antiviral medicines to treat H1N1 flu are recommended for pregnant women who have signs and symptoms of swine flu.
Special Precautions for Swine flu
If one is pregnant, one must lessen the jeopardy of infections by not entertaining in unnecessary travel and crowd whenever possible.
Pregnant women must religiously follow the suggestions and advices for good hygiene.
If by any chance, any of your family members or other relative is suffering from swine flu, then your doctor may prescribe you to use antiviral medication (usually Relenza) as a prophylactic (preventive) measure.
If you believe that you are suffering from swine flu then you must call your doctor for tests and diagnosis immediately. If at all your doctor confirms your doubt over swine flu, then you’ll be prescribed medications (antivirals) as early as possible.
However, if you don’t think you have any kin...
Read more articles on Swine Flu (H1N1) Prevention
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.