Swine Flu Risks: Certain groups of people are vulnerable to swine flu complications (H1N1). Find out who is at high risks for swine flu (H1N1) and why it differs from those at high risk of other types of flu.
In general swine flu causes mild illness and most people with swine flu recover with adequate rest, taking plenty of water or fluids and over-the-counter flu medication. In some people the risk of serious illness is high if they are infected with the swine flu virus.
You are at a high risk of complications or serious illness with swine flu if you have:
• Chronic (long-term) lung or respiratory tract disease,
• Chronic heart disease (congenital or acquired)
• Chronic kidney disease (such as renal failure, end stage renal disease)
• Chronic liver disease (such as cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis)
• Chronic neurological disease (such as motor neuron disease, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease)
• Immunosuppression (either due to a disease, medication or treatment), or
• Endocrine diseases such as type 1 diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes mellitus
The risk elevates if:
• You’ve received drug treatment for asthma in the last three years,
• You are pregnant,
• You more than 65 years of age
• Your child is younger than five years of age.
People at high risk of complications or serious illness will need to start taking antivirals once infection with swine flu virus is confirmed. At times high-risk patients may be advised to take antivirals after they come in contact with an infected person even before they develop any symptoms.
Read more articles on Swine Flu Causes and Risks
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.