Wrist stiffness is very common these days. Know preventive measures and care tips
Our wrist is one of the most complex joints in the body. People often suffer from wrist stiffness, particularly in winters. The wrist is composed of 8 bones in total, with it, ligament and tendons are also present. Sometimes the cartilage breaks are starts getting reduced, which gradually leads to the development of a painful condition. In severe cases, it turns into arthritis. There could be various reasons for this like sprain, fracture, carpal tunnel syndrome, intersection syndrome or, carpal tunnel syndrome. The following exercises can help you to prevent yourself from permanent wrist injuries.
- Tennis ball squeeze: This is the most convenient exercising position. It should not be painful, practice this for 10-15 seconds twice.
- Extended arm: Extend your arm with your palm facing up towards the ceiling. In the next step, stretch your palm towards the floor and hold for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Clenched fist: Be seated, open your hands and thighs. Close your hands into a fist. Do not grip too tightly, relax. Repeat this 10 times.
- Deskpress: Comfort yourself on a chair, place your palm on a desk. Press your palm and fingers against the desk. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Relax and repeat.
- Wrist extension: Place your arm on the table over a rolled-up towel for padding. Move your wrist up and down while your hand is still on the towel.
- Wrist suspension: Keep your arm to 90 degrees with your elbow. Your arm should be facing down. Now to move your palm up, and then again down. Relax and repeat 5 times.
Though these exercises would help one to feel better in case of a wrist injury, there are certain other factors which should be kept in mind. The type of food you eat, your posture or practising wrong exercises could be a great contributor to wrist injuries. We have other measures that can accelerate your healing process and will also act as preventive benefits:
- Wear a wrist band at night: A wrist band will keep the bones straight. But one should also keep in mind the fact that your wrist band should not be very tight. A tight wrist band will reduce blood circulation. This can be harmful. Loss of blood circulation may damage the cells permanently.
- Use a heating pad: Use a heating pad over your hand. At least for 20 mins a day, this will work against the pain. You can continue using the heat bag till you get rid of wrist stiffness.
- Check vitamin B12 deficiency: Vitamin B 12 can be the real reason behind your wrist pain. The lack of vitamin B12 causes carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Use Epsom salt: Epsom salt is a muscle relaxant and has anti-inflammatory properties. Take a tub and soak your hand in lukewarm water with a spoon of Epsom salt, for 20-25 mins. This can help reduce the stiffness in the wrist to a great extent.
Read more articles on Exercise And Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.