Snoring is so common a habit that it is often ignored. But when you know that a second person can hear you snore and that he/she shares a laugh at it, it becomes an embarrassing issue. But, do not worry as snoring can become a bygone if you follow-up every day with home remedies for snoring.
Image source : Shutterstock
What lifestyle changes do you need to get rid of snoring?
- Obese individuals are more likely to snore than those who are of slim built. If you are overweight, losing weight may be the solution to ease the vibration of respiratory structures.
- High blood pressure is another common cause of snoring. Seek medical assistance to bring blood pressure within the normal range.
What sleeping positions should you avoid?
Wrong sleeping positions also trigger snoring. For example, when you sleep on your back, your tongue falls to the back of your throat blocking the airway. In such a case, you may put 2—3 pillows under your head. Try sleeping on either side or on your stomach.
Also read : Stop Snoring with These 5 Yoga Asanas
What should you be eating before going to bed?
- Avoid eating or drinking foods that cause mucus accumulation or breathing difficulties. Watch out for dairy products, spicy foods, chocolate and smoking.
- Abstain from alcohol consumption for at least four hours before bedtime.
What should you do when your nasal passage or other problems are making you snore?
- Problems with your nasal passage may be one of the reasons for snoring. Inhale steam at night to get relief. In case of chronic congestion, consult a doctor.
- Common medical conditions such as cold may clog your nose, making you breathe through your mouth and thereby, causing you to snore. Snoring because of common cold is likely to subside with the cold. If it doesn’t, consult a doctor.
If you have nasal injury or conditions such as a deviated septum, you may have excess tissue in the nasal cavity or mouth that’s causing obstruction in the breathing airway. In such cases, medical intervention is necessary.
In most cases, snoring can be reduced to a negligible level with changes in sleep habits and lifestyle. If you fail to stop snoring loudly despite making several changes to your sleeping habits, it could be a symptom of sleep apnoea.
Top Image source : Shutterstock
Read more articles on Home Remedies
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth app
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.