Sarvangasana or shoulderstand pose is a great exercise for full body workout with innumerable benefits. Learn how to do it here.
There are ‘n’ number of yoga asanas with different functions and target areas. Some strengthen the core while some help attain weight loss goals. Only a few of them provide multiple benefits and one of them is Sarvangasana or shoulderstand pose. This is a difficult one but worth doing for the wonderful health benefits it offer. It boosts blood circulation, controls blood sugar, reduces fat, to name but a few of the advantages of doing sarvangasana. So, if you are trying to get rid of the stubborn belly fat or toning your body or controlling glucose levels, this shoulderstand pose is what you need to do regularly.
Sarvangasana- The Mother of All Yoga Asanas
There are so many yoga asana ranging from easy to diffcult levels but sarvangasana is the greatest of them all. This is why it is said to be the mother of all yoga asanas. This is an inverted asana where a person has to lift up the upper body with their arms and try to hold the position for as long as possible. The longer you can put your weight on the shoulders, your core muscles would exercise more and it will activate the sleeping muscles to get into action. The longer hold, the better benefits you’ll receive. Thus, this advanced posture is recommended by most yoga practitioners.
When practiced daily, Sarvangasana can increase your metabolic rate, improves digestion, enhance blood circulation, better respiratory system and improved thyroid functions. Now that you are aware of the many health benefits of doing this shoulderstand pose or Sarvangasana, let us tell you how to do it.
Step-by-step guide to doing Sarvangasana
- To begin with, lie down on the ground or over a yoga mat with your back.
- Put the arms on the sides.
- Hold your waist with the arms and gently lift the body upwards.
- Try to bring the legs perpendicular to the ground.
- Your feet should face the ceiling and lock the position.
- Now try to lift your back and pelvis off the floor.
- Place the hand on the back for support.
- Try to form a straight line with your leet, legs, shoulder, pelvis and torso aligned.
- Try to touch the chest with your chin and look up to your feet.
- Hold this position for as much longer you can.
Dos and Don’ts of Sarvangasana
While performing an exercise, you must take care of the dos and don’ts. This is especially for beginners.
- If you have hand, wrist, neck or shoulder problems, you must not do this pose as it may aggravate the problem.
- Menstruating and pregnant women are not advised to perform this asana.
- If you have chronic health issues like enlarged thyroid, spleen or liver, slipped disc, hypertension, cervical spondylitis, heart ailments, weak bones, etc. avoid doing sarvangasana.
If you have any health issue, you must consult your physician about the right exercises to do. This helps in minimizing injuries and maximizing benefits. Those who are fit must do shoulderstand pose to avail its many benefits. Doing yoga regularly is great for general health.
Read More Articles in Yoga
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.