Swimming is not just a full body exercise but also a sports. Most of us think of having high protein and low carb diet after heavy exercises like swimming. Read the details to choose the right food after swimming.
Swimming demands the use of the entire body to move through the water. It can be categorized as a sport, recreation, exercise or survival. Swimming provides an overall body workout and is helpful for a healthy and fit body. It is the best workout which leaves you exhausted draining your energy.
To fuel your body after any exercise is important. But it is more important to keep the quantity and food preference accurately. In the case of swimming, diet becomes more crucial. After the swimming body to be more hungry than any other workout. This is due to the fact water of the pool or river is generally cool which is associated with a rising in appetite suppression leading to food craving.
To deal with the food cravings, a specific amount of protein and carbs are needed. So eating anything or heavy fat after a full-body exercise or swimming can act as a great threat to your body.
For proper health and body, a balanced diet is a must coupled with a physical workout. Talking about swimming, it is one of the best full-body workouts. So, maintaining a good diet full of nutrition can help a swimmer or your body to recover the muscles and energy needed by the body.
Best diet after swimming is balancing carbs and protein content in the ratio of 4:1. That means more carbohydrates are needed after swimming than protein. Carbs are essential when the body goes through the heavy workout as glycogen stored is used by the body.
After swimming, Carbohydrates will help you reload glycogen in body and restore your energy level. Protein too is needed to repair and maintain your muscle tissue. Many of the people confuse carbohydrates intake and overtake protein and in the end, fail to gain the right physique. Choosing the right food post-swimming is a hard task. So, which carb food to choose after swimming.
What to eat?
You need to focus on complex carbs such as brown rice, potatoes, and legumes with a good protein source. There is a list of food which you can go for post-swimming to restore energy and maintain muscles
- Sports bar with whole grains and a handful of almonds
- Whole wheat bread with almond butter
- Homemade energy supplements made up of chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and some dry fruits
- Fruit smoothie with low-fat yogurt and protein powder
- Yogurt with banana and other fresh fruits
- Rice recipe with almond butter and a banana
Things to keep in mind
- Food should be taken within an hour after swimming
- High carb with a portion of protein should be balanced in a way that overeating cases must be avoided
- Carbs take more time to digest so with every meal post swimming, banana, yogurt, and juice should be added
- Avoid spicy food after swimming. This can badly affect your health.
- Balance your diet. Do not overeat.
- If your goal is to lose weight, go for carbs which don’t affect your blood sugar but do not replace carbs with protein as the carb is essential.
Both protein and carbs are needed post-workout. People generally tend to go for protein than carb after the workout. There is a need for understanding which kind of carb and what amount of carb is needed according to your workout level. Carbs having low sugar effecting capacity can help maintain energy as well as physique.
So, don’t always go for low carb. Go for the right carb in limited quantity especially after swimming.
Read more articles on Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.