Welcome to the world of parenthood! After nine months of waiting, you probably relishing to be home with the new member of your family finally. Delivering a child is just the first step to parenthood. Focus, love, energy and health consciousness will extend to provide best to the little one in every aspect, but don’t forget yourself, too. The postpartum period begins after your baby's delivery and ends when your body returned to its pre-pregnant stage. During this phase, the mother undergoes emotional and physical changes while learning to balance the responsibilities that come with motherhood. Mother and child both need extra care at this point of phase.
Physical Changes: Loss of weight is very prominent among the physical changes through which the mother goes. Besides that, there are many other changes namely.
- Constant Constipation: It is widespread whether you have had a normal delivery or a C-section. The reason behind constipation is because of the effects of iron supplements.
- Heavy and Sore breasts: No worries if you are having sore breasts as it comes with the delivery. Nurse your baby after regular intervals, and you can use covers to avoid leakage.
- Urinary incontinence: It includes Vaginal soreness, Vaginal discharge, Contraction Childbirth weakens the pelvic muscles, thereby causing incontinence.
Emotional changes: Mood swings, tantrums, anxiety are okay at this time. Don’t you worry about these swings it is a natural feeling you are going through? Take a deep breath and enjoy this post-partum.
- Baby blues: Are you feeling guilty, weepy and irritated? This feeling is known as “baby blues”, and experienced by many mothers.
- Postpartum depression: Don’t let yourself dive into blues; it is acceptable. Don’t you bother much about this, try to distract yourself and enjoy the happiness around yourself. Drink plenty of water and keep calm and relaxed.
- Itchy Irritability: Besides physical irritability, emotional irritability can also be sensed. It is because of lack of sleep. Don’t hesitate; taking help at this time cause no harm.
- Anxious Anxiety: Try not to overthink, and allow things to settle by themselves. Be calm and happy.
- Multiple Mood swings: Again, it may be exhausting or pleasurable to you. Just pamper your loved one and yourself.
Here Are Main Precautions To Look Out For
- Proper Rest: "Taking proper rest is essential at this time, plus matching your rest cycle with the newborn is necessary. Your little one will wake-up every three hours for feeding, which can be overwhelming as well as exhausting at the same time. It may hamper your sleep pattern. So, take proper sleep" says Mr Rajat Kapoor, Master Franchisee India, Seraphine.
- Healthy Nutrition Diet: At this time body needs to heal from childbirth. Keep it in mind that the weaker you get, the more you will lack the capability for doing things for the baby. Take a properly balanced diet as direct by the gynaecologist.
- Simple Precautions: Eat healthily, take proper sleep, maintain hygiene and don’t refrain yourself from taking the help. Let other family members also play with little one; this will give you some space.
- Light Walking: Mr Rajat Kapoor, Master Franchisee India, Seraphine states, "don’t refrain from physical activities. Get out for a walk and indulge yourself in light exercises. Pamper yourself by doing the things of your interest and reading a book, watching movies or Netflixing!"
To conclude, the postpartum period may be full of restlessness, but the happiness of being a healthy mother and having a healthy baby motivates you to continue taking healthy precautions.
Be healthy mommy of your happy baby!
Read more articles on Women's health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.