Nothing feels more comfortable than wearing a pair of shorts, or that flowy sundress in hot summer months. However, many women dread the season when they have to go bare legs or avoid wearing such clothes at all. Having hairy, bumpy or blemished skin on your legs can be a cause for many women to be conscious about their legs. If you are one of them who are conscious about their legs, here are some amazing natural remedies to help you achieve smooth legs.
Always prep your legs before shaving
This tip is especially useful if you are one of many women around the globe, who prefer shaving as a hair removal method. Preparing your legs before shaving or waxing is very important to prevent bumps or ingrown hair. There are various methods to prep up your legs before any hair removal process. Some of them are:
- Bathing with warm water before shaving or waxing
- Using a leg exfoliator or sugar scrub to exfoliate legs and allow proper hair removal results
- Rubbing baking soda on legs as a pre-shave exfoliator
Waxing is a go-to method for many women as it removes the hair from roots and is a great way to achieve hair-free skin for longer. However, it has its downside too. Many women experience acne or bumpy skin after waxing, this happens because the wax used in beauty salons is shared for many customers and hence it becomes contaminated. Thus, instead of waxing, you can try other alternatives such as sugaring.
Sugaring or sugar wax is a great alternative for beeswax. You can either get this done at a parlour or at home. The sugar paste used for hair removal once used cannot be reused and so, it is supremely hygienic. Here is how to make it at home:
- Take a pan and add one cup of sugar to it.
- Add water and squeeze the juice of one lemon.
- Heat this mixture for 7-10 minutes on low flame until the colour deepens and consistency becomes thick.
- Wait for it to slightly cool down.
- Using a spatula or popsicle stick, spread this wax on your legs.
- Now pull it directly without needing a strip.
Scrub Your Legs
Scrubbing your legs regularly removes the dead and dry skin from your legs and helps any ingrown hair to break free. You can easily get different variants of body scrubs from cosmetic stores. If you wish to go natural and use a natural formula on your legs, try brown sugar and olive oil scrub. You can also replace brown sugar with regular sugar. Here is how to make this natural scrub to get smooth and shiny legs:
- Mix a cup of brown sugar with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Alternatively, you can also mix white sugar with coconut oil to make this scrub.
- Exfoliate your legs with this scrub before you shave or wax them.
Moisturise your legs
Just like how moisturising facial skin is important, you should also moisturise your legs. This helps in locking hydration and preventing dryness. You can use body lotions to nourish your legs or try coconut oil as a leg moisturiser. This is a great remedy. Apart from keeping your legs soft and smooth it also helps get rid of any marks on your legs. Over time, the tone of your legs would also lighten.
- After bathing, apply some coconut oil to your legs and massage it.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then wipe it off using a napkin or damp cloth.
Dealing with keratosis pilaris
As many of us who suffer from Keratosis pilaris know, ingrown hair can be a huge problem. Keratosis pilaris, better known as KP is a harmless condition, in which the skin on limbs and other parts of the body becomes dry and bumpy and prone to ingrown hair. World over, around 50% of people suffer from it. Exfoliating is the best technique to deal with unsightly bumps caused due to ingrown hair.
It is very easy to get smooth legs if you take care of them. To yield anything, you need to give it maximum nourishment. Similarly, to get smooth legs, you must tend to your legs. Simply follow the tips mentioned in this article.
Read More Articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.