Paschimottanasana or Seated Forward Bend Pose increases flexibility and aids weight loss. Read everything about this asana in this article.
Paschimottanasana is a great yoga pose for holistic wellness. Apart from relieving physical ailments, it also reduces mental stress keeping the mind and body in synchronization. This is a Hatha Yoga pose that focuses on the West of the body which is the back. Most people ail from back or spinal issues which can be treated easily with regular practice of Paschimottanasana. This International Yoga Day(21st June), don’t forget to do this exercise and also keep this in practice thereafter to strengthen your back. Learn Paschimottanasana benefits and how to do this Seated Forward Bend pose.
About Paschimottanasana Yoga
Paschim(West) + Uttana(Stretch) + Asana(Pose) = Paschimottanasana or Seated Forward Bend Pose
Yoga is known to balance physical and mental well-being. There are several exercises like Paschimottasana which effectively treat physical ailments while leaving a positive impact on mental health. The Seated Forward Bend Pose has profound effects on the nervous system to soothe the mind and body. As you bend forward, the muscles on the back get exercised giving a good stretch. Over time, your body would become more flexible and this helps in warding off the normal ache and pain. Also, this asana helps in weight loss by improving digestive functions. This yoga is great for patients of blood pressure and diabetes. Read all the health benefits of Paschimottasana below.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana
- Doing the seated forward bend pose stretches the spinal cord and makes it flexible.
- It increases blood circulation in the body which helps in blood pressure regulation thereby securing heart health.
- This yoga asana stretches the muscles of the upper body along with waist and calf. This makes the upper body highly flexible.
- This asana can tone the waist and fight obesity.
- Paschimottasana is great for purification of the gut by eliminating stomach worms. This also helps in improving digestion.
How to do the Paschimottasana
Here is the step-by-step process to do Paschimottanasana or Seated Forward Bend Pose
- Start by sitting in Sukhasana pose. Take deep breaths and exhale. Breathing while doing Yoga relaxes the nerves and calms the mind.
- Now, stretch your legs forward without bending the knees. Keep your spine erect.
- Breathe in and extend your arms upwards.
- Now, slowly bend forward to your legs with along your arms.
- You’d feel your upper boy moving.
- Try to hold the toes with your hands. You don’t have to do this forcefully. It requires flexibility to perfect this one go. If you are unable to touch the toes, practice this daily and within a few days, you’ll be able to complete the pose.
- Bend your forehead and try to touch your knees.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds and return while exhaling.
- Repeat 5 times.
In what medical conditions one should avoid doing Paschimottanasana
- People who are suffering from back or neck pain should avoid doing this exercise until they are fully recovered.
- People who have diarrhea or asthma are also advised to not do the seated forward bend pose.
- Pregnant women should do this but under the guidance of an instructor only to avoid any mishap.
Read More Articles in Yoga
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.