Do you know why Earth is called Mother Earth? We are born here, live here and die here. Earth takes care of us like a mother where it gives us food and shelter for living. We must pay respect to Earth-like our mother. This International Yoga Day, we all should pay respect to Earth with Bhunamanasana. This is also known as Earth Yoga Pose as you pay homage to the Earth while performing the exercise. This asana holds a huge significance as it helps us connect with our motherland that is responsible for our living. Also, this pose exercises the body to make it both physically and mentally strong while enhancing emotional connection. Let us tell you more about Bhunamanasana yoga step by step.
Bhu(Earth) + Naman(Greet) + Asana(Pose) = Bhunamanasana or Greeting The Earth Pose
Bhunamanasana is a traditional Hatha Yoga Pose. It is also called spinal twist prostration pose wherein you sit in a position with your legs extended straight on the sides and your upper body bend towards to touch the ground and greet the Mother Earth. You can evaluate the difficulty level of this asana but practice makes a man perfect. Upon doing this exercise daily, not only you’ll perfect this posture but also build a strong, sturdy and flexible body. With each day of practice, you’d come to a step closer to nature.
Health benefits of doing Bhunamanasana
Bhunamanasana seems to be a difficult exercise but as you practice it, you’ll reap Bhunamanasana benefits that no other asana can give you. Here are some of the benefits of Bhunamanasana to motivate you:
- Strengthens the lumbar muscles of the spine and increases flexibility
- Strengthens the Thoracic spine i.e. your upper back and increases its flexibility
- With twisting your spine, the muscles around the rib cage would strengthen
- Improves the alignment of the joints around the hip
- Increases strengthen of quadricep muscles that are located around the legs
- Makes your neck and shoulders flexible
- Enhances the functions of vital internal organs
- Betters digestion
- Increases liver functions and treats the fatty liver condition
- Tones abdominal muscles and reduces body fat
- Opens the Third Eye Chakra or Ajna Chakra
- Regulates the functions of Thyroid Gland
How to perform Bhunamanasana
Here is how to do Bhunamanasana step by step:
- Sit comfortably on the ground or yoga mat.
- Stretch your legs towards the sides with sitting bones touched to the ground.
- Keep your spine or back straight.
- Inhale and raise your arms. Hold both toes with fingers.
- Now starting bending forward towards the ground.
- Do as much your body allows you to do. Don’t force the body or else you may suffer pain.
- Try to touch the floor with your forehead or chin.
- If you cannot, don’t worry. Nobody can perfect this pose in one go. Your flexibility will improve gradually.
- Come back in the neutral position. Rest for a minute.
- Repeat this for a couple of times daily.
In what medical conditions one should avoid doing Bhunamanasana
This pose offers a lot of benefits but people with these conditions should avoid this exercise:
- Pregnant women
- People with blood pressure problems
- Patients of hernia
- People who have stomach ulcers
- Patients of Spondylitis
Read More Similar Articles in Yoga
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.