Preventing Obesity for a Disease-free World
- Adults can prevent obesity by eating a healthful diet.
- Exercising regularly can help to maintain the body's weight.
- Staying active ensures that the weight remains balanced.
- Children must be encouraged to eat and perform healthy activities.
Obesity has grasped billions of lives worldwide, adults and non-adults alike. Unlike many medical conditions which can be managed or treated with a pill or a vaccine, obesity requires one to change their behaviour for its prevention or treatment. Behavioural change encompasses access to affordable, nutritious foods and opportunities for physical activity.
Obesity can be prevented by lifestyle modifications that aim at maintaining a healthy body weight, eating a well-balanced diet and exercising regularly.
Preventing Obesity in Adults
- Eat healthy: According to Food and Drug Administration (FDA), an average adult consuming 2,000 calories per day through foods such as dairy, meats, breads, fruits, vegetables and legumes is not only fulfilling nutritional requirement but preventing obesity as well. Swap white bread with whole grain foods such as brown rice and whole wheat bread.
- Exercise: Make time for fitness activity. 30 minutes of an activity of moderate-intensity will ward off obesity risk. Consistency is the key; stick to your workout plan.
- Stay active: Living an active lifestyle, which also includes simple activities, such as taking the stairs or walking to the store can help one to keep weight gain under control. Enrolling in a health club is another way to maintain body weight.
How to Prevent Obesity in Children and Adoloscents
Adolescents become overweight or obese due to the lack of physical activity accompanied by poor eating habits. To prevent obesity during the developing years, parents must do the following:
- Encourage healthy eating habits and physical activity. Parents must encourage children to eat slowly and chew the food properly. Serve at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Healthy mind is only possible with healthy body. To make kids smart and help them excel academically, parents must ensure that their kid engages in moderate physical activity for an hour at least.
- Parents must make sure that the kids do not spend much time in front of the TV and computer.
Obesity is a serious medical problem that adults and youngsters must be guided against so they can ward off all the possible complications of it in the future.
Read more articles on Obesity.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 20, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.