How to Discipline a 1-Year-Old Child?
By the time a child is a one year old, you are trying to teach him different things. However, something they can learn on their own is misbehavior, inattentiveness or just plain ignorance to what you are instructing. Read on to understand how to discipline your one year old.
- Do not expect too much from your child as he is still very small; they want to explore the world, so they may persist with what they are doing despite your disapproval. It is important you say “no” when you need to.
- Try to encourage good behavior by giving him smiles, hugs and positive reinforcement.
- Do not get angry or scream at them. You are more likely to get their attention and cooperation with love and hugs.
- Have a consistent response to his behavior; if you say “no” and smile, then he is likely to continue with what he is doing.
- Do not punish your one year old by putting him in his room; this may upset and scare him.
Let your child grow at his own pace; have patience, don't expect too much. Help him pass through this phase by being loving and caring. Most children with reinforcement learn to behave.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 29, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.