How to Discipline a Child of 3 Years?
By the time your child is three years old he will want a little more independence in his daily routine; this should be encouraged as it is normal part of his development. But many times these small ones can misbehave. One of the biggest challenges of a parent is to teach them to behave in a socially acceptable manner; they need to be taught varying etiquettes, but do not dampen their natural enthusiasm and curiosity for world around them. Read on to know how to discipline your three year old.
- You need to make consistent rules for them. Respond to bad behavior or aggression in the same way every time. If they recognise a pattern, they will know what to expect the next time they misbehave.
- Practice time outs; this can help to calm them.
- Use positive methods of disciplining, reward good behavior; give a firm “no” to discourage negative actions.
- Do not scream or abuse them; gently tell them what you don’t like and what you expect from them.
- Give them reminders; small children have short memories and get distracted easily. If your child misbehaves, remind them about the same thing several times (such as “if you hit anyone today in the park, I will take you back home and you won’t be allowed to watch TV”).
- Develop a routine which offers them security and makes them feel loved.
Parenting a preschool child has its ups and downs, but with a little patience and good parenting skills, you can teach them how to behave.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.