Proper nutrition and balancing calories is about choosing the right food stuffs and calorie conscious foods. Making children aware of what they are putting in their mouth and what it is doing to their body is important. Do not scare the child but make him aware of healthy eating choices and substituting calorie ridden food with low-cal options when temptation strikes. Also find ways to make everyday food both nutritious and palatable, innovate with your child’s favorite dishes with healthier options.
- Plenty and variety of fruits and vegetables. Sauté or steam them rather than frying and consider a low fat, packed with nutrition food. Avoid fried foods at all times.
- Low fat dairy products like double skimmed milk, low-fat butter etc. Cut down on all the unnecessary calories from everything.
- Choose fish and chicken rather than meat. You may opt for lean cuts of meat. Trim all fats from meat.
- Limit or avoid sugar laden beverages completely. Encourage to drink fresh juices, lemonade instead.
- Opt for fat free breads and cereals.
- Keep away from sweets or saturated fat. High fat and sugar laden foods like cookies, cakes, chocolates and chips should be completely avoided.
- Food portions should be appropriate with age. Forcing your child to eat more or finish off everything on plate will add further pounds to their frame.
- All calorie rich food items like burgers, donuts, pizzas are high on fat and sugar. Avoid them as much as you can yet allow your child for a treat sometimes.
- Encourage your child to eat slowly and consciously as it will help them know when they are full and avoid overeating.
- When hunger pangs strike, choose low fat options like whole-wheat crackers topped with jam, fresh fruits or dried fruits.
- While the family is eating keep all distraction like television away. The child should not even be allowed to do his/her homework while eating.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.