Guide to the Best Foods for Asthma Prevention
Health experts across the globe agree to the notion that specific food options have direct influence on asthmatic condition. Over the years, there have been researches in this sphere to establish a link between asthma and diet. Doctors believe that choosing food options wisely will help you prevent several effects of asthma. These foods along with adequate diet plan are also an important part of the asthma treatment plan.
Moreover, several health conditions have also been associated with the asthmatic condition. American researchers have linked changing diets with the significant rise of asthma in last 2-3 decades. In comparison to other nationals, Americans consume less fruits and vegetables, but more processed foods.
[Read: Natural Ways to Prevent Asthma]
Nutrition for Asthma Prevention
Studies suggest that diets with adequate mix of vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, flavonoids, magnesium, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids helps in prevention of asthma. Among these substances, most are antioxidants that shield cells from damage. Consumption of nuts and tomatoes helps in preventing the development of asthma. Moreover, another study found out that teenagers with inadequate nutrition were more vulnerable to develop asthma than others.
Several studies have also turned down the relation between asthma and diet, but do emphasise on importance of good nutrition. Inadequate nutrition can make body prone to illness and respiratory viruses. It is advised that you must talk to your doctor before making alterations in your diet regimen. After carrying out asthma diagnosis and reviewing general health and asthma symptoms, the expert will recommend changes in diet for preventing asthma.
Food Options for Asthma Prevention
[Read: Asthma Cure by Fish]
1. Fruits and vegetables: Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for asthma prevention. These should be included in everyday diet and should be consumed in variety.
2. Omega-3 fatty acid foods: Food options rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which include fish like salmon, tuna, sardines and flaxseed render several health benefits.
3. Avoid trans fats and omega-6 fatty acids: Studies suggest that omega-6 fats and trans fats may worsen the asthmatic condition. Found in margarines and processed foods, these options also raise the risk of heart diseases.
4. High calorie foods: More calorie consumption will lead to weight gain, which is bad for overall health as well as asthmatic condition.
5. Avoiding allergic food options: People develop food intolerances, which can also increase asthmatic complications. Allergic foodstuffs should be strictly avoided.
Read more article on Asthma Prevention
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 02, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.