Having good academics don't always mean a high success level. Thinking why? It's the level of Emotional Intelligence which will take you in the long run...
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is the capacity to understand, utilize, and manage your own emotions in pragmatic ways to remove stress and express your feelings effectively, sympathize with others, overcome challenges and tackle conflicts. It is also known as Emotional Quotient or EQ. It also helps a person in decision making and actions. There are various attributes of emotional intelligence: Self-management, Self-awareness, Social Awareness, and Relationship Management.
Importance of Emotional Quotient
You will not believe that happiness and success depend upon Emotional Intelligence. The higher the level of emotional quotient, the higher the success and happiness level. Many times you got to know about the brilliant student who had great academics yet failed at the workplace. IQ is important but it's the emotional quotient that will help you to manage stress and relations at the workplace.
In fact, emotional quotient is the most needed part of our lives. Without this, it will not be possible for us to maintain our relations at the workplace or in personal life. Not only at the workplace, but emotional quotient will also enhance your personal relationship.
Effects of Emotional Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence has a number of effects on different areas of life. It affects:
- It enhances Mental Health
- Emotional quotient maintains Physical Health
When your mental and physical health is in balance your Relationship will grow with happiness. So, it also maintains your relationships.
- It is needed for effective performance at School and Work-place
- The society too is maintained through Emotional Intelligence
How to build Emotional Intelligence?
Figure out what works best for relieving you from stress and then actually put it into practice.
- Go for a run
- Take a walk around the block
- Call a friend and communicate
- Practice some yoga techniques
- 10 minutes of meditation may also help
Basically, maintaining a few habits can help us to attain a high level of emotional intelligence paving the way for our success and happiness.
- Developing self-awareness which consists of both emotional awareness and self-confidence is the key to increase Emotional Intelligence.
- Regulation is another key. Self-regulation to remove negative thoughts is helpful in maintaining peace of mind. It consists of self-control, trustworthiness, adaptability, and innovation.
- Having empathy will promote Service orientation, Developing others, Leveraging diversity, Political awareness, Understanding others in a person making him more sensible.
- Social skills like that of influence, communication, leadership, conflict management, building bonds, etc pave the way for success and happiness in life.
- Motivation is required to reach your goal and succeed in life. Without motivation, it is not possible to achieve your task and perform well
Improving Emotional Intelligence isn't so hard. It's all about knowing about yourself first. Self-awareness and social interaction is the key to build it. The level of Emotional Intelligence will help your relationship grow at the workplace as well as at your personal sphere. Improve your Emotional Quotient and be more happy and successful.
Written by Stuti Mishra
Read more articles on Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.