There are number of problems that can turn into serious discomfort able conditions if not given attention at the right time. Ulcerative colitis is a serious issue that is almost equal to inflammatory bowel diseases. There is good bacteria that is present in the body which helps in the supporting the digestive system and aids good bowel movements. The balance of these bacteria can actually help the gut to essentially maintain your health and relieve symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Let us know if Probiotics, that contain good bacteria can help in the same way or not.
Ulcerative Colitis and Probiotics
If you are wondering about the link between eating probiotic foods and chronic gastrointestinal diseases, then it is simple, it is all about gut health. We spoke to Ms. Shilpa Singh, Clinical Nutritionist from Fatima Hospital, Lucknow to know about the benefits or effects of probiotic diet in ulcerative colitis condition. She explained that people suffering through this condition have many symptoms that can be relieved by consumption of probiotic food in the diet. The symptoms include-
- Abdominal pain
- Bleeding in the rectum
Effect of Probiotics on Ulcerative Colitis
Probiotics can actually reduce inflammation in your gastrointestinal system. Ulcerative colitis is a gastro disease that inflames the gut; therefore this comes handy and improves the symptoms. According to expert, probiotic such as yogurt, kimchi, pickles and kefir can actually help to improve condition of UC.
- It improves intestinal immune response
- It increases barrier function of the intestine lining
- The develops the gut microbiota that is good bacteria in the gut
- It also helps to target the intestinal mucus that contains diverse functions
Scientists believe that genetic factor also plays a big role here. The bad bacteria can trigger the lasting of inflammatory substance present in the mucus of the gut. Changing the way to look at bacteria can actually help in ulcerative colitis becoming less aggressive.
Also Read- 8 Ways To Stop Panic Attack Right Away
How Probiotics can help?
1. It can act as a barrier in the line of the gut to prevent other “bad” bacteria from stimulating into the mucosal immune system.
2. Probiotics also boost the mucus production because of which there is a change in consistency of mucus. As a result of this, it can lead a person to have thinner mucus in the gut that offers protection against invasive bacteria.
3. Probiotics can be cause mucosal immunity in the system. It is present in the intestinal tract due to which it is easier to produce protective immunoglobulins in the blood.
4. They can actually change the function of mucosal immune system to become more anti-inflammatory in nature. This can prevent you from getting ulcerative colitis again.
What are the risks of consuming probiotic in UC?
Well, if there are advantages and health benefits, there can be some negative effects of eating probiotic diet in ulcerative colitis as well.
1. It can affect immune system reactions- Probiotics are not considered safe for people that have weakened immune system. Because of this it might increase the risk of infection of the following issues-
- Problems related to HIV
- Immunosuppressant drugs
- Some types of cancer
2. It can worsen Ulcerative colitis symptoms- In some cases it can even cause health complications that ate usually associated with ulcerative colitis. This includes brain fog, bloating and bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.
Which probiotic can be added for Ulcerative colitis?
Here are some foods that contain probiotic and can be healthy for problems related to Ulcerative colitis-
- Fermented milk
- Ice cream
- Milk powder
- Soy based products
Picture Credits- pixabay.com