How many times do you try to rub your ears or put an earbud because of irritation in the ear? Maybe once or twice in a day, but sometimes this grows more than that which could be signs of ear problem. Ear damage of earwax blockage is the term used for usual mucus accumulation in the ears. Earwax is a natural compound called cerumen which accumulated in your ear and it does not go of because of washing it off. Even though earwax is helpful as it acts like a natural defense for the body to prevent bacterial infections, it is important that you get it tested if the irritation increases. Today we will talk about earwax blockage and how this condition affects hour health in detail.
What is Earwax Blockage?
According to Dr. Ishan Kumar Rastogi, ENT Specialist from Vozart Healthcare Hospital, Bangalore to know about this condition in detail. He said that wax or mucus accumulation in the ear that is caused because of natural process over the ears can cause blockage in the ear. It affects your auditory nerves and ability to hear and listen. Earwax usually acts like a natural defense in the body but it can grow to be particularly problematic when the wax is not removed, it may also lead to balancing issues for the person. It is always recommended to get your ears checked if you have any symptoms of earwax blockage to prevent health adversities in future.
Symptoms of Earwax Blockage
The point to consider is that earwax blockage does not mean you won’t be able to hear or get disbalanced immediately. The symptoms are very mild that keep increasing over the period of time if the condition is not treated and taken seriously. Here are some symptoms for your help-
- Feeling fullness in the affected ear
- Hearing some noises or ringing sound in the ear
- Decreased sense of hearing or hearing comparatively loud noises
Risk factors for Earwax Blockage
You must be aware of some risk factors that lead to problematic situations and complications of earwax blockage. Here are some factors which can reveal that you must consult an ENT specialist after that.
1. Signs of another condition related to ears- sometimes people confuse earwax blockage to be more severe ear infection and try to take medications or ear drops for that. This could cause a side-effect on your ears. On the other side, sometimes it is very difficult to know that there is earwax blockage because all signs look good. Having earache can also lead you to complications, thus you need to consult a doctor for expert consultation.
2. Wax Removal cannot be done by self- If you observe that you are having too much max in the eardrum, then it is better to go to an expert for help. According to expert, using earbuds are harmful for the ears because they can further push the wax inside the ear which might cause more difficulty in hearing. If you try to pick the wax from your ears, then there are chances that is can damage your eardrums and you would need a surgery to treat it. Hence always prefer an ear specialist to look into the matter and pick out the wax.
Cause of Earwax Blockage
There cannot be too many factors that could lead to earwax blockage, in usual conditions, it happens because of wax secreted from your glands in the skin that lines the outer portion of the ear canal. The wax and tiny hair present in the ear traps the dust and do not let foreign particles go inside the ears and body.
Also Read- World TB Day 2022: 8 Common Myths Busted
According to ENT specialist, small amount of earwax present in the glands are always secreted and then gets replaced. Earwax blockage that is caused because of natural factors can be cleaned with the help of cotton buds using the special ear equipment present with the doctor.
Picture Credits- shutterstock.com