Diet for preventing chikungunya
- Chikungunya weakens the immune system.
- It has negative impact on digestive system.
- Eat foods that have increased levels of fluids.
- Vitamin A rich foods must be preferred.
Chikungunya leads to an overall weakening of the immune system which has a negative impact on the digestive system. Since no vaccine has been developed yet for preventing the outbreak of this disease, it is advisable to consider a diet that can prevent this disease. What is meant by prevention is to improve the immunity of a person to a level that even if the chikungunya virus were to infect him , it does not cause any illness. Diet for chikungunya prevention includes foods that are easily digestible and boost the immunity of a person.
Diet to prevent Chikungunya
- Foods with an increased level of fluids such as soups, dals, gravies, barley and similar semi-liquid diet.
- Leafy vegetables as they are easily digestible while non-vegetarian food is avoidable.
- Fruits like Apples and plantains are good but cold fruits such as oranges, watermelons must be avoided.
- Food that is rich in chromium, selenium, and zinc, i.e. has vitamins A, C, and E.
- Oranges, sweet lime, amla, capsicum, pineapple, broccoli, cabbage, guavas and papaya are rich in vitamin C.
- Vitamin A rich foods are all those fruits and vegetables that are yellow or orange in colour.
- If the fever does not come down, then oily food, coffee and Tea must be avoided.
- Make a concoction from herbs such as tulsi, amrutharista, mahasudarshana churna, sudarshan churnam, amruthotharam kashayam and gutika to lessen the severity of Chikungunya complications.
Foods rich in chromium, zinc and selenium that have vitamins A, C and E are natural anti oxidants. They help to fight the free radicals of the body. Take them as supplements or in their natural form. The fruits and vegetables mentioned above, rich in vitamin C and A are the natural sources. The best way to escape from contracting this disease is to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Since that is not practicable all the times, you can consider some helpful diet for preventing chikungunya.
Image source: Getty
Read more articles on Chikungunya Prevention.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 01, 2016
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.