Everybody is well-versed with the viral disease of Chikungunya. Do you know how it spreads? It is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquito. Many people get confused between the dengue and chikungunya fever, as the signs and symptoms of both are very similar. It is a non-fatal but debilitating, disease.
One could experience the following signs and symptoms:
- severe fever
- persistent joint pain
- body rash
- muscular pain
Lesser known facts on chikungunya virus
- The literal meaning of "chikungunya" means "to walk bent"
- The only definite way to diagnose chikungunya is by a blood test
- There are no vaccinations available for chikungunya
Chikungunya is known as one of the most commonly occurring ailments during the rainy/monsoon season. The process is when the mosquitos carrying the chikungunya virus bite any human being, this affliction is caused (by humans).
Chikungunya fever is caused by a virus of the arbovirus group (of the family Togaviridae). The disease is transmitted by bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Aedes aegypti mosquito bites during the day. Mosquitoes become infected while feeding on the blood of an infected person, and spread infection to other individuals they bite. The infection occurs mostly during the monsoon season when mosquitoes are at their greatest numbers.
- As of now, there is no definite treatment for chikungunya. Your doctor will recommend symptomatic treatment which includes rest, drinking plenty of fluids, medications to reduce fever and tepid sponging to reduce fever.
- According to a recent study, chloroquine is probably an effective treatment for arthritis-like symptoms that are not relieved by aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID). However further studies are required before it can be recommended as a standard treatment for arthritis-like symptoms in chikungunya fever.
- According to homeopathic experts there are effective drugs for chikungunya treatment in homeopathy. These drugs can prevent as well as hasten recovery from chikungunya.
- Chikungunya is a viral disease which is transmitted by mosquito bite.
- Chikungunya fever is caused by a virus of the arbovirus group.
- Mosquitoes become infected while feeding on the blood of infected.
- Then, it spreads to other individuals they bite.
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.