Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic daily update: Whatever a disease is, it affects the immune system of a person, and if the condition is cancer, then the patient’s immunity deteriorates to the core. Therefore the current global pandemic of coronavirus is more harmful to the one afflicted from the disease. “People who have blood cancer are extremely prone to COVID 19. Besides, cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, immunotherapy or the ones who underwent a cancer surgery or a bone marrow transplant need to take special precautions to keep themselves safe during this crisis,” explains Dr Nitin Diwedi, Neuro Oncosurgeon at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital & Research Centre, Jaipur by listing five critical measures.
- Don’t discontinue any medicine without consulting a doctor: Whichever cancer you are suffering from, please continue to take the medicines prescribed by the doctor especially if the patient undergoing chemotherapy or immunotherapy finds any difficulty in consuming any of the medication than you can consult your doctor over a call or an email.
- Even for a routine cold-cough, you should consult a doctor: Weather is changing, and therefore the problem of cold and cough is quite common in the current times. But it is essential for a cancer patient or a cancer survivor to consult their doctor for this common flu, to avoid any further complications. Cold-cough is one of the primary symptoms of COVID-19 and hence can’t be avoided at all.
- It’s imperative to have a proper daily routine: An adequate daily routine can help one increase his/her immunity. During the lockdown, you can’t go out for a workout, but you can do an essential 45mins exercise at home. Consumption of turmeric, basil and food rich in Vitamin C can boost your immune system. All of this will make you stronger from inside and help you to fight out this virus effectively.
- Take special care of hygiene: In these unusual, it’s imperative to take excellent care of personal health as well as cleanliness at large. One should bathe every day without fail and should adequately wash the garments after being used ones. Even if you are at home, you should wash your hands at least 20 times a day. Don’t touch your eyes, mouth, and nose strictly follow the advisory given by WHO.
- Stay home, stay safe: Staying in an isolated clean place and zero socializing is the best remedy to keep yourself and others away from this pandemic. That’s the reason Mr Narendra Modi has appealed all Indian citizens via national lockdown to stay at home. Keeping the severity in mind cancer patients should remain in quarantine because if they encounter an infected person, then there are ten times more chances of them getting infected as compared to any other non-cancer person. The patient who has blood cancer (Hodgkin Lymphoma, AML, ALL & multiple Myeloma) should be extra careful.
Cancer patients are ten times more susceptible to this novel virus as compared to any other average person; therefore, they need to be extra careful.
(The article has been written by Dr Nitin Diwedi, Neuro Oncosurgeon at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital & Research Centre)
Read more articles on Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.