Piles or hemorrhoids are caused due to swelling and inflammation of the veins present in the rectum and anus. [Read: Homeopathic Treatment for Piles]
There are two types of piles:
- External: These are present outside the anal verge
- Internal: These occur inside the rectum
What causes piles?
Certain factors which predispose a person for piles include;
- Genetic tendency (like due to weak rectal veins, walls)
- Poor tone of muscle in rectal region
- Constipation (hard stool)
- Inactive or sedentary lifestyle
- Chronic or prolonged cough
- Excessive use of laxatives or enemas
- Weight lifting habitually
The symptoms of piles vary depending upon the site of piles, duration of symptoms and your overall health. [Read: Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles]
- The external piles cause swelling outside the anus, irritation and itching. In some people they can be painful sometimes. They usually do not bleed.
- Internal piles bleed during passage of hard stools but they are usually not painful. At times there can be slimy discharge of mucus form the piles. Based on their severity they can be classified into four grades (1 to 4).
If you notice bleeding in when you pass stool consult a doctor for advice.
Read more articles on Homeopathy.