Effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles
- Piles occur due to inflammation of the veins in the rectum and anus.
- The symptoms of piles vary depending upon the site of piles.
- Ayurveda medicines can help reduce constipation.
- Home remedies can ease the discomforts that piles put you up against.
Piles also known as haemorrhoids are caused due to swelling and inflammation of the veins present in the rectum and anus. Piles treatment through Ayurveda has been quite effective. The ayurveda treatment is a holistic method with no or a very few side-effects.
What Causes Piles?
There are several factors that increase your risk of developing piles. Some of the common factors that might lead to piles are genetic tendency (due to weak rectal veins, and walls) and poor tone of muscle in the rectal region, constipation (hard stool). Among other factors that contribute to piles are obesity, inactive or sedentary lifestyle, chronic or prolonged cough, pregnancy, excessive use of laxatives or enemas and weight lifting on a daily basis.
Ayurvedic treatment for piles depends on its type – external (present outside the anal verge) and internal (occur inside the rectum).
The symptoms of piles vary depending upon the site of piles, duration of symptoms and your overall health. External piles cause swelling outside the anus, irritation and itching. In some people, they can be painful sometimes but they usually do not bleed. Internal piles bleed during passage of hard stools but they are usually not painful. At times there can be slimy discharge of mucus from the piles. Based on their severity they can be classified into four grades (1 to 4). If you notice bleeding in when you pass stool consult a doctor for advice. Haemorrhoids symptoms usually respond to treatment in a few days.
Also read: Ayurvedic Remedies for Constipation.
Ayurveda for Piles
Piles ayurvedic treatment aims to reduce the constipation (the commonest predisposing factor for piles) and relieve pain associated with. Most of the time, treatment options for piles include certain lifestyle changes that you can take on your own such as changes in diet.
Ayurveda medicines for piles can also prove quite useful in reducing constipation. Some of the most common herbs and medicines for piles are asafoetida, fennel and cumin. Ghee, buttermilk and green leafy vegetables in diet can also reduce constipation.
Some of the commonly used and effective ayurvedic herbs are:
- Carrot (Daucus carota): It is effective in reducing the bleeding from piles. It can be taken raw or cooked.
- Garlic (Allium sativum): It is effective in reducing the bleeding from piles and is helpful to stop the growth of bleeding piles.
Other herbs prescribed for treatment of piles are trikatu, cassia fistula, mimosa pudica, ailanthus excels, blumea balsamifera and semicarpus anacardium.
Besides home remedies and medicines, you need to know few other things that will ease the discomforts that piles put you up against. Knowing a few things can help deal with mild pain, swelling and inflammation. Often the following are included in ayurvedic treatment for piles.
- Soak regularly in a warm bath (your anal area) for 10 to 15 minutes. This is often recommended two to three times a day.
- Keep the anal area clean, cleansing the skin around your anus gently with warm water. Don’t use soap, as it can aggravate the problem.
- When using wipes, avoid alcohol based or perfumed wipes. All you should do is gently dry the area with a hair dryer after bathing.
- The use of toilet paper is a no-no in this condition. However, you can use moist toilet paper that doesn't contain perfume or alcohol.
- Apply ice packs or cold compresses to relieve swelling.
- If you are feeling discomfort, you can take oral pain relievers.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 29, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.