Have you ever though what are probiotics? Probiotics are basically living microorganisms that contribute towards good health in your body. Yes, you read that right. There are many microorganisms that have health benefits and are good to incorporate in your diet. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help the whole body and your brain. In fact, probiotic foods like yogurt can even give better-looking skin and hair. It not just benefits our digestive system but can have an impact on the overall health. They can be consumed through fermented foods or supplements too. Onlymyhealth editorial team spoke to Dr. Pooja sharma, Dietician, Nutritionist & Life Style Expert and a Patron of SeekMed, about the benefits of probiotics and some recommended natural foods.
Can Probiotics Help You Lose Weight?
Dr. Pooja Sharma said, "Whenever we talk about weight loss, it is related to the stomach If the digestion is good, obviously you will not have any gas problem or any constipation problem, which will definitely help in the weight loss. If you have constipation, your body will hold up more water, then there's no water retention, there's bloating and heaviness in the stomach. Even if you try to follow a new kind of diet, you won't be able to unless and until your gut is clear, so probiotics definitely helps in gut health." Probiotics basically help in gut health only, so if you have a good gut health, obviously the weight loss will be good. The gut health and weight loss are inter related. Any kind of food which Is fermented and contains good bacteria like curd is a natural probiotics. Good bacteria are increased in fermented food.
Also read: Weight Loss Probiotic Foods: 7 Food Items That You Should Start Eating To Lose Weight
Other benefits of probiotics
- Probiotics infuse good bacteria
- They help in the normalisation of many metabolic cycles in the body
- They also help in the fat reduction from the belly
- It is a rich source of vitamin B 12, which is also very good for metabolism of the body and helps in weight loss.
- Probiotics help in cleansing the system
- It helps us in bringing the toxicity levels down
- Helps in reducing acidic levels
- Prevents stomach bloating
Getting probiotic supplements is quite common. Still, many people prefer having natural probiotic food items. As per Dr. Pooja Sharma, here are some famous examples of effective probiotic foods:
- Yakult (fermented, prepared, chemical pro biotic)
- Rava dosa batter
- Idli batter
- Dosa batter
- Pickles (vitamin K is also increased, unless you are a blood pressure patient, pickle is good)
Read more articles on Weight management