Billions of people rely on caffeine to get a kick and stay energetic. Be it tea or coffee, at one point in time, we do crave for it. We already know that caffeinated drinks are harmful to health as they contain high levels of caffeine. But now there’s a buzz going around recently and is on-trend which is known as caffeinated water. As you can guess by its name, caffeinated water contains water with caffeine added to it. Caffeine is commonly found in tea, coffee and cacao plants.
Although it adds as a benefit, we are all aware that water is an essential part of our lives, and there is a specific volume of water that we should drink every day. But infusing it with caffeine suddenly transforms this most natural drink into an unnatural substance that could harm our bodies, rather than performing the simple, but a vital job that regular water does.
Also Read: Healthy Drinks: 7 Tasty Juices That Help Relieve Indigestion And Diarrhoea
Benefits of Caffeine
Apart from the several side effects that people talk about, caffeine also have several health benefits:
- Boosts energy levels: Coffee can help people feel less tired and increase their energy level. That’s because it contains a stimulant. Caffeine is absorbed in bloodstream, which then travels to the brain.
- Helps you lose weight: Caffeine is found in almost every commercial fat burning supplements.
- Promotes better physical performance: Caffeine breaks down the body fat, making it free from fatty acids that help in improving physical performances. Hence it makes sense to have a cup of coffee half an hour before heading to the gym
- Provides immunity against Alzheimer’s: This is the most common disease that affects people over 65. However, studies have shown that drinking a cup of coffee can lower the chances of getting Alzheimer’s by almost 65%.
Side Effects of Caffeine
The possible side effects of caffeine are:
1# Makes you anxious: Caffeine is known to increase alertness. However, at higher doses may lead to anxiety and nervousness. It triggers the production of excess adrenaline, which will make you anxious and increase your stress level and rapid breathing.
2# Can cause insomnia: Too much caffeine can make it challenging to get enough sleep. Several studies have found that higher caffeine intake appears to increase the amount of time it takes to fall asleep. It also reduces your total sleep time.
3# Increase in Blood Pressure: Elevated blood pressure is a risk factor for heart attack and stroke as it restricts the flow of blood to your heart and brain. Therefore paying attention to the dosage of caffeine is essential.
Also Read: Replace Your Usual Coffee with Garcinia Coffee For Weight Loss
The Right Amount of Caffeine Needed
- It’s probably more important to think about how much coffee should you take. Most people are used to a level of food or drink that they are comfortable with and therefore would not experience such effects. However, those who do not have caffeine much may experience feelings of anxiety, hyperactivity, nervousness and sleep disturbance
- If you get enough amount of sleep but working an overnight shift, drinking 2 cups of coffee would be enough. It would be best if you were sure about not taking more caffeine than 400 milligrams at one time
- One should look at the packaged foods, including beverages and dietary supplements containing caffeine. Studies indicate that 4–5 cups of coffee per day can be the optimal amount of intake.
Read more articles on Healthy Diet