Yoga and meditation are two powerful exercises that hold the capacity for treating almost all kinds of health ailments. Bhramari Pranayama or Humming Bee Breathing Technique is not only good for respiratory issues but it also addresses migraines.
Migraine is an acute headache that is often accompanied by tiredness, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, etc. This acute headache can last for hours or even days and is sometimes prolonged. According to the American Migraine Foundation, women are at 3 times more risk of migraine than men. Most people experience migraine headaches at the age of 10 to 40 years.
Experts believe that migraine headaches can be caused by a number of health conditions such as stress, fatigue, depression, irritability, weather changes, food, skipping meals and other conditions that promote migraine pain. It cannot be treated, but through yoga, its symptoms can be controlled, which causes migraine headaches.
Yoga teachers believe that Bhramari Pranayam can be a good way to calm the mind immediately. This breathing exercise is highly effective in controlling anger, frustration and keeping depressive thoughts out of the mind.
What is Bhramari Pranayama?
Bhramari Pranayama or Bee breath is a breathing technique with inspiration from the honey bee. Bhramari pranayama is considered effective in calming the mind immediately. Bhramari Pranayama is an exercise that can play an important role in dealing with anxiety, stress, anger and depression. This simple technique can be practiced anywhere - at home, office or elsewhere. This calms the mind.
In this pranayama, the sound emanating from the exhalation process is like a buzzing bee, due to which it is called Bhramari Pranayama.
The Effectiveness of Bhramari Pranayama
According to the Art of Living, this breathing exercise reduces the strain of the nerves surrounding the brain and forehead area. The vibrations of the humming sound are proven to provide a calmness to the entire mind and body.
How to do Bhramari Pranayama?
- First of all, while choosing a calm environment, sit in the Sukhasana posture and relax.
- Now close both your eyes and feel the calm atmosphere while taking deep breaths.
- The index fingers keep the index fingers on the ear (cartilage between the ear and cheek).
- While taking a deep breath, press the cartilage and exhale. During this time you will hear the humming sound of a bee.
- Your face should be closed while making a humming sound. Do not press the ear cartilage too hard.
- Keep the sound that comes out during Pranayama high.
- Repeat these steps 3 to 4 times.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama
- Bhramari pranayama can be beneficial for migraine patients.
- Bhramari Pranayama relieves anxiety, anger, excitement and frustration or depression.
- This pranayama is very beneficial for hypertension or high blood pressure patients. Blood pressure remains normal.
- If you are feeling hot or have a headache then doing Bhramari Pranayama is beneficial.
- Performing this pranayama increases confidence.
- Bhramari pranayama keeps your mind calm.
- While doing pranayama, be completely relaxed, do not put pressure on your face.
- Do not do pranayama more than 3-4 times.
- You can seek the advice of a yoga expert before doing pranayama.
Read more in Yoga
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.