Ayurvedic home remedies for Kidney Stones
The popularity of ayurveda for treatment of kidney stones is increasing nowadays as more and more people prefer natural treatment to avoid the side effects associated with prescription drugs and medicines
- Kidney stones have become a common problem in many parts of India.
- The signs & symptoms of kidney stones depend on the size of the stone.
- Ayurveda treatment of kidney stones is increasing nowadays.
- Ayurvedic treatment recommends avoidance of red chilli pepper & spices.
Kidney stones have become a common problem in many parts of India and everybody (adults and children) is at a risk of developing kidney stones. The urine has dissolved substances which can precipitate and develop into stones, but these usually do not crystallize to form stones. In most people even if stones are formed they are usually small (<5mm) and pass in the urine without any symptoms. The different kinds of stones that can form in the kidney include calcium oxalate, cysteine stone, struvite stone (magnesium, ammonium and phosphate), calcium phosphate stone, and uric acid stone. But the most commonly formed stone in the kidney are made of calcium oxalate.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
The signs and symptoms of kidney stones depend on the size of the stone.Small kidney stones (<5mm) pass in the urine without causing pain or any other symptom. Bigger stones (>6mm) tend to obstruct the flow of urine and cause symptoms. When obstruction to the flow of urine occurs, it causes agonising pain in the lower back. The pain may extend to the groin area (described as ‘loin to groin’ radiation of pain).Other symptoms which may develop include nausea, vomiting, blood in the urine (hematuria), restlessness and fever (in case if infection is present).
Kidney Stones Treatment with Ayurveda
The popularity of ayurveda for treatment of kidney stones is increasing nowadays as more and more people prefer natural treatment to avoid the side effects associated with prescription drugs and medicines. Some of the ayurvedic remedies that are useful for the treatment kidney stones are listed below.
Gokshura Kada: 15 ml of this liquid, mixed with equal amount of water, taken three times a day is helpful for urination and in relieving the burning urination sensations which are common complaints of people with kidney stones. Another ayurvedic medicine, chander prabha vati is useful for the treatment of the burning sensation while urination.
Ayurvedic medications such as ber patthar bhasma or patherina (as tablets) can cure kidney stones. Other ayurvedic medicines useful for treatment of kidney stones are cystone tablets (1 to 2 tablets twice daily for 6 to 8 weeks) and calcury tablets (1 to 2 tablets twice or thrice daily for 6 to 8 weeks).
Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
A few home remedies coupled with ayurvedic remedies are useful for kidney stones.
- Drink plenty of water or fluids (at least three litres of water every day) because water helps to flush the stone.
- Drink coconut water and barley water regularly. These are helpful in relieving the burning sensation while urinating.
- Onion decoction prepared by adding water to the onion bulbs with sugar is also useful.
- Ayurvedic treatment recommends avoidance of red chilli pepper, spices and milk products for patients suffering from kidney stones.
- Some food items which help prevent kidney stones are red kidney pulse or rajma daal, basil leaves, and celery.
- Have fruits such as fresh ripe apples, water melon, pomegranate and grapes are beneficial for people with kidney stones.
Image Courtesy: Getty
Read more articles on Kidney Stones
Source: Expert Content May 04, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.