Bad breath is something that everyone would like to avoid, especially when we have to meet someone or attend an important meeting. Your oral hygiene and digestive system play a significant role in causing bad breath. Read this article to find out the possible causes and six ayurvedic remedies to treat bad breath.
Causes Of Bad Breath
- Poor digestion and constipation
- Dry Mouth
- Gum or teeth problems
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Consuming foods that have a strong odour, such as onion and garlic
- Smoking, tobacco chewing, and consumption of alcohol
- Respiratory infections or infections in your mouth
Ayurvedic Remedies To Treat Bad Breath
Eating fennel seeds after meals can help in giving relief from bad breath. Fennel seeds are digestives by nature and consist of flavonoids. It stimulates the flow of saliva and prevents your mouth from getting dry. However, avoid fennel seeds if you are pregnant.
Pearl powder has powerful rejuvenating power and soothing effects. It is also beneficial for treating health conditions like chronic blood pressure, gastritis, and diarrhoea.
Also Read: Is Stressed To Be Blamed For Bad Breath?
Use Honey & Ginger As A Mouthwash
You can mix honey with ginger juice or ginger powder and use it as a mouthwash to cure bad breath.
Honey And Spice Water
Boil cardamom, fennel, cumin seeds in water and add turmeric and honey to it. Use this water to gargle your mouth about two to three times a day. It can help in keeping your breath fresh.
Basil tea has anti-microbial properties and can help in reducing bad breath. It is also helpful in improving digestion, lung health, and reducing headaches and fever. However, avoid drinking basil tea if you are pregnant.
Neem is helpful in treating bad breath as it has antimicrobial properties. You can use it as a mouthwash, chew its leaves or sticks to treat foul odours of your mouth. You can boil neem leaves in water and wait till it reduces to one-fourth of the original volume. Gargling with this water can help remove bad breath and also help in whitening your teeth.
Tips To Reduce Bad Breath
- Maintain proper oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly after eating meals.
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco.
- You can rinse your mouth with an alcohol-free mouthwash before going to bed. Using mints or fresheners with alcohol can make your mouth dry and cause bad breath.
- You should intake a good quantity of fluids throughout the day if you have a dry mouth. You can also use moisturising agents like dry mouth spray or a dry mouth moisturising gel. Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
You can treat bad breath by using these ayurvedic remedies, however, maintaining good oral hygiene is imperative. You should consume healthy foods to improve your digestive system. Consult your doctor if the problem persists, and take the necessary medications.