Abhyangam massage increases blood circulation and removes all the toxic elements of the body.
Abhyangam in ayurveda: Abhyangam (massage) balances the energy of the body and mind, regulates body temperature and improves the blood flow and flow of other fluids in the body. Every man needs regular practice, thus maintaining health by practising abhyangam every day. Although daily self-exercise is sufficient, everyone should take a good abhyangam massage from time to time. Abhyangam makes the skin soft and reduces the dryness of the skin due to Vata. Its rhythmic movement reduces the stiffness of joints, muscles and transmits energy throughout the body. Abhyangam massage is excellent before exercising. If your body's digestive system is working well, then your skin will automatically become soft and diseaseless. In the same way, when all the impurities of the skin are removed, then our digestive system gets cured. Mustard oil can be used for skin, and different oils can be selected for individual needs.
People of the Vata nature require more of Abhyangam than those of Pitta and Kapha nature because the sensation of touch is more in the people of Vata nature. People of Vata nature should do abhyangam with oil every morning or in the evening, (massage the body with warm oil before bathing with warm water). Sesame oil is good for Vata nature. Dhanvantram oil, Mahanarayana oil, Dashamool oil, can also be used. The movements of the hands should be slow or moderate but should be in the direction of the body hair, and the maximum amount of oil should remain on the body.
People of Kapha nature are cold and oily. The ayurvedic powder can be used instead of oil. However, mustard or sesame oil is best. In the particular case of Kapha, Vilva and Dasmool oil can be used. The movements of the hands should be fast and deep, opposite to the direction of the body hair. Use less oil on the body.
People of Pitta nature are warm and oily and have more sensitive skin. Use of soft oils is more useful for people of pitta. You can use coconut oil, sunflower oil, sandalwood oil. The movements of hands should be slow or moderate (according to personal choice) in the opposite direction of the body.
Also Read: Try Navel Therapy To Cure Daily Ailments
Benefits of daily practice of Abhyangam
- Prevents ageing
- Improve eyesight
- Body nutrition
- Skin whitening
- Muscle development
- Eliminates tiredness
- Increases ability to endure physical and mental trauma
Things to note
- Allow the oil to remain on the body for 10-25 minutes. Do not allow the oil to cool on the body after the practice. Gradually massage by hand or do some physical exercises.
- Do it 1-2 hours after eating food. Never practice in hunger or thirst.
- Regular practice should be done to maintain good health.
- Take a bath with hot water after exercising. Do meditation before bathing.
- Always start applying oil from the top of the head.
- Must not practice Abhyangam in the following
- Cough, fever, indigestion, at the time of infection such as skin rash
- After rectification such as vomit, purgation, nasal
- Menstrual cycle/ periods in women
- Immediately after dinner
How to do/begin Abhyangam?
- Head: Apply oil on the top of your head. Gently massage the entire head with both sides.
- Face: Four times down, four rounds on the forehead, four rounds near the eyes, four times slowly on the eyes, three times the cheeks, three times under the nostrils, three times under the chin, back and forth, three times upon the nose. , three times temple and forehead back and forth, three times full face down
- Ear: Massage 4 times but do not go inside the ear
- Chest: Massage 4 times counterclockwise.
- Abdomen: 4 times slowly clockwise
- Shoulder: 4 times back and forth on shoulders
- Back: 4 times up and down with finger joints
- Claws: 4 times up and down soles, four times up and down heels, massage between fingers and pull fingers
- Tip: After the massage leaves the oil for 10-20 minutes and take a bath with soap or boil with warm water, can shampoo hair.
Apply oil to head and hair
Applying oil on the top of the head is very important for balancing the defects. The light massage of the scalp, before bathing and at the time of swimming, not only helps in the growth of hair, but it is also very helpful in increasing the power of the eyes. It gives stress relief and gives deep sleep at night. This also keeps the body temperature under control. Soft effects oil is commonly used for the head like coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil, almond oil.
Read More in Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.