Ayurvedic Treatment for Asthma - Asthma known as Tamaka Swasa Roga in ayurveda is a reversible obstruction of respiration. Several herbal remedies, ayurvedic mixtures, yoga and diet changes are recommended by ayurvedic practitioners for treatmen
Asthma in ayurveda is termed Tamaka Swasa Roga. The characteristic feature of asthma is reversible obstruction of respiration. The incidence of bronchial asthma is rapidly increasing worldwide. Increasing pollution, changing climate and the rising pollution are believed to be the culprits.
According to Ayurveda bronchial asthma is a kapha disease. Shleshaka kapha is the fluid that is present in the heart and the lungs and vitiation of shleshaka kapha leads to bronchial asthma. However vitiation in the vata and the pitta doshas can also result in bronchial asthma.
Treatment of Asthma in Ayurveda: Several herbal remedies, ayurvedic mixtures, yoga and exercise, and diet changes are recommended by ayurvedic practitioners for treatment of Asthma.
Herbal remedies: Some of the herbs with are helpful in the treatment of asthma are Celery (Apium graveolens), Tachyspermum ammi (Bishop’s Weed ), Ephedra germanium wall (Ephedra), Datura stramonium (Datura), Terminalia chebula retz (Chebulic Myroblan), Ferula foetida (Asafetida), Terminalia arjuna (Arjuna), Myrica nagi (Bay Berry), Chichorium intybus (Chicory), Euphorbia hirta (Euphorbia), Allium sativum (Garlic), Syzygium aromaticum (Clove), Solanum nigrum (BlackNightshade), Zingiber officinale (Ginger).
- Celery: It has antispasmodic properties which are beneficial in the treatment of asthma.
- Somalata (Ephedra): It is one of the main herbs used for treatment of asthmatic attacks by ayurvedic practitioners. Solution of somalata powder in water gives immediate relief in asthma attacks and provides a restful sleep to the person.
- Chebulic myroblan (Terminalia chebula retz): Chewing fruit of the chebulic myroblan every night before going to bed, can improve asthmatic attacks considerably.
- Bay berry (Myrica nagi): The bark of the bay berry tree in powdered form gives good relief in bronchial asthma patients.
- Garlic: Three garlic cloves drunk with milk taken every night provides good relief in bronchial asthma patients.
- Ajwain (Bishop’s Weed), Clove, Black nightshade, Ginger, Aniseed are expectorants. Hence they are beneficial in the treatment of asthma.
Ayurvedic preparations for asthma: Besides the herbs several Ayurvedic preparations are prescribed for bronchial asthmatic patients.
Some of the commonly used preparation include
- Sitopaladi choorna: A teaspoon full of this choorna if taken three or four times a day mixed with honey gives good results.
- Chyavanpraasha: A teaspoon full of Chyavanpraasha taken three times a day preferably before meals, gives good relief from bronchial asthmatic attacks.
- Kapha kartari: Chewing kapha kartari along with betel leaf gives immediate relief to bronchial asthmatic patients.
- Bharangee guda: Mixture of Bharangee guda with Chebula Myroblan gives relief from chest congestion and coughs.
Yoga and exercise: Yoga is an effective exercise for patients with asthma. The various stretching and contorting asanas of yoga improve the function of the respiratory tract.
Some yogic asanas found to be beneficial in patients with bronchial asthmatic are
- Surya Namaskar
- Shankha Asana
- Pranaam Asana
- Sarvanga Asana
- Supta Vajrasana
- Ushtra Asana
- Hasta Uttana Asana
- Utthita Lola Asana
- Dwikona Asana
- Matsya Asana
Besides yoga exercise is also beneficial in patients with bronchial asthma. Swimming is an excellent exercise for asthmatics as it strengthens the lung. Patients with severe bronchial asthmatic should swim under supervision.
Diet changes: Avoid foods that are difficult to digest such as all animal products, milk foods (especially for people who are lactose intolerant) and pulses. Avoid fried and spicy food. Drink plenty of fluids to facilitate easy digestion.
Caution with Ayurveda: Home remedies can help in asthma but if you want ayurvedic treatment for asthma take under the guidance of a professional ayurevda as asthma is a serious disease. Do not reduce the dose of your allopathic medication without consultation with your allopathic doctor. In case of an emergency in asthma consult or seek conventional medical care.
Read More Articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.